Help! New Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big Update: I moved (local) and in the process did a 100% live sand change and 100% water change.
Question: How does this help, if at all, with elimination brooklynella eggs?
Thanks

It's a parasite, so there are no eggs involved. Did you do anything with rock? If not, there could be some there still. It needs a fish to host for survival, so if you have been doing the fallow tank, keep going that route.

It's a parasite, so there are no eggs involved. Did you do anything with rock? If not, there could be some there still. It needs a fish to host for survival, so if you have been doing the fallow tank, keep going that route.

I kept LR and didn't do anything with it. Tank has been fallow for almost 5 weeks. I'm so used to it by now that whatever urge to add fish I had before is gone. So I will wait another 3-4 weeks.

Hi everyone! 10 more days till I hit the 8 week mark running the aquarium fish-less. I'm getting more excited as I get closer to the day I can add fish. I am seriously considering a pair of designer clownfish: black ice, Wyoming or Platinum. However, I will probably add a Chromis as a test fish before acquiring a more expensive clownfish.
Part of me wants to go 10 weeks fishless to be safe although I am not sure how much of a difference those 2 extra weeks will make.

Start with something simple and cheap. Then it's easier when you get more advanced to add fish you really care for. Test fish means test fish... I have had problems with chromis's on good days. Maybe somebody could suggest a better test fish. I like using damsels, but then they can get pretty mean. They are as bullet proof as any fish I know.

Chromis are hit and miss in my experience. In my 75g, I can not seem to keep more than two. I bought five, a month later was down to two. Bought three more, down to two. They were the sole survivors of the MV outbreak in my tank though. Hanging out in QT now, but going back in DT this weekend.

Damsels are bulletproof, but nasty later on. Maybe a pair of clownfish? They tend to be pretty hearty.

Have you decided what you're adding

Leaning towards clownfish. Unlike a regular damsel, clownfish is a type of fish I will want to keep long term. Damsel is definitely cheaper and probably tougher fish but I know that within 2-3 weeks I will want to take it back to LFS. As some suggested catching it might be a big mess. So I am leaning towards a hardy fish that I can keep for a long while.

Went to LFS and they had nice misbar ocellaris clowns for sale. I picked up a pair. They are hanging out by Umbrella coral right now with lights dimmed. Excuse the dirty glass. Water change happened yesterday.

image-3596140407.jpg

I went thru the very same thing the first couple months I started up my tank ( fish would die in a week or so but corals were doing great) . I think mine was a combination of a lot of things ( parasites , acclimation , WC , etc.)

What I did was add a uv sterilizer to the return line of my CF and went fish less for about 6 weeks, and did a lot more research about acclimation.

Now I acclimate using the drip method for around 2 hours and I have not had any issues since.

Hope my 2 cents helps... KCCO

I went thru the very same thing the first couple months I started up my tank ( fish would die in a week or so but corals were doing great) . I think mine was a combination of a lot of things ( parasites , acclimation , WC , etc.)

What I did was add a uv sterilizer to the return line of my CF and went fish less for about 6 weeks, and did a lot more research about acclimation.

Now I acclimate using the drip method for around 2 hours and I have not had any issues since.

Hope my 2 cents helps... KCCO

Thanks. I could come up with a long list of things I might have done wrong from overcrowding to overfeeding.

Back
Top Bottom