Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help!! New Tang not doing well - Advice needed quickly

I just got a small yellow tang from my LFS. I observed him in the store for a good 30 minutes. He was eating well, swimming well. Look good.

So I bring him home, drip acclimate him for about 30 minutes, then float him for about 30 more. Quick freshwater dip in distilled water and relased him into the tank.

For about an hour he was doing great. Swimming all over, gazing some seaweed I put it.

He's now been in the tank for about 90 minutes and is sitting at the bottom, breathing hard and not moving. Kinda propped up against some of my LR.

I tested all may water parameters this morning. All was normal.

Amm: 0 -> Nitrite: 0 -> Nitrate: 5 -> PH 8.2 -> Temp 78 -> Salt 1.022

Is there anything I can do for him? I hate to see him like this. Any advise please?

This is my first fish in this tank. It's been well cycled. It's been running since October 2004.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
He is very stressed out right now.
A. Thats a pretty fast acclimation IMO
B. Dips are also stressful on a fish
Add this all up to one stressed out fish. Give him some time. In fact, you may want to turn off the tank lights and let him rest. Your water parameters look fine.
No qt? You may want to consider setting up one for the future. Will keep fingers crossed for you that he is parasite free.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The lights were off since I got him home. I won't turn the back on until at least tomorrow, maybe even Sunday.

I dripped him in a 2 1/2 gallon bucket, pretty slow drip, but the bucket got full after about 30 minutes so I decided to float him.

I am setting up a QT for any future fish/inverts I add. I figured since he was my first fish I could just let him go. Maybe not such a good idea now that I think about it.

I just feel really bad for him right now. I feel like a "bad parent".
Old 01-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its normal for a new fish to be stressed out. He's been through a lot in the past weeks. Now he can rest up and get used to his new home.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Qshark. It is most likely an acclimation issue. Combine that with the stress of a FW dip and he is pretty unhappy. Are there any other visible signs of stress besides the rapid gilling?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Are there any other visible signs of stress besides the rapid gilling?
Such as? He is just sitting in the same spot, propped against a rock.

All lights are out, except the lunar (moon) lights.

Thanks for all the advice... I feel a little bit better.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look for anything out of the ordinary. Pale or mottled coloring, red or white spots, loss of "balance"...
Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also watch closely to see if he starts eating in the next couple of days.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awww, hopefully he recovers well. Did the ph and temp match the water it was in on the FW dip?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

He did not make it. I woke up this morning and he was gone. I re-tested all my water parameters when I removed him from the tank. Nothing had changed except the PH, went down to 8.0.

I feel really bad about this. I can't help but feel if I would have dripped him longer this outcome may have been different. But then in the back of my head I wonder if it was just meant to be?

The LFS I purchased him from has a 48 hour guarantee (pending a water sample). Since I know the water is fine I would assume them will offer me a refund, store credit, something.

What would you guys do? Purchase another fish from the same store (tangs were all in the same tank) or try another store (maybe get something else?)

Thanks so much for all the help and support though this.

Tags
ick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com