I acquired a used 75 gallon saltwater aquarium that had been up and running for a year. When I picked it up it was still running healthy. It came with:
a decent amount of live rock (50lbs?)
crushed coral/sand type substrate
4 snails & 3 hermits
2 wave maker pumps
I kept 30 gallons of the used salt water and
I kept the used filter media in it to keep the bacteria, etc...
I added a 48" T5HO light fixture 2 actinic bulbs & 2 daylight bulbs
So a a week later I thought I was good to go with adding fish assuming it didn't need cycled...and I did. First an emerald crab & mandarin dragonette. Then 5 hermits a pseudo and a coral beauty. Then 2 O. clowns & a bubble tip anemone. Three separate additions in 2 weeks time, I'm stupid!
Now there is brown algae all over the live rock. The Nitrates are 80 and the ph 8.2!
The anemone looks sad, but everyone else looks okay...
I removed the old filters and put in kent nitrogen sponge and added biological water conditioner last night. At the first sign of algae I cut feeding the fish in half and have only been keep the lights on for a few hours a day. I'll be adding a "poly-filter" today.
I'm hoping to get ahold of some RODI
water at Jacks Pets tomorrow and do a 30% water change.
What else can I do? I don't want my fishies to die