help out here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i noticed today my one tang has ick. I took numerous steps i want to know if i am doing the right thing.

1) I removed the fish into my QT tank. I did not remove all the fish because the others ones have not showed any signs of having it.
2) I am trying to decide on what kind of treatment i should go for. I know Hypo is the probably the best but i do not have a digital meter for salinity. I have paraguard and was going to try that to see if it helps. I know some say copper works very well.
3) I covered my QT tank for privacy i do not have any PVC.
4) If i were to go with the HYPO and my other fish in my tank come down with ICK do i not need to start the HYPO all over again in my QT.

Which one is the easiest to use? Hypo or copper

Ok i noticed today my one tang has ick. I took numerous steps i want to know if i am doing the right thing.

1) I removed the fish into my QT tank. I did not remove all the fish because the others ones have not showed any signs of having it.
2) I am trying to decide on what kind of treatment i should go for. I know Hypo is the probably the best but i do not have a digital meter for salinity. I have paraguard and was going to try that to see if it helps. I know some say copper works very well.
3) I covered my QT tank for privacy i do not have any PVC.
4) If i were to go with the HYPO and my other fish in my tank come down with ICK do i not need to start the HYPO all over again in my QT.

Which one is the easiest to use? Hypo or copper

1) Ich is not just a problem with one fish if there are multiple fish in the tank. If ich is present in a tank, it can remain there as long as there are fish there to support it. Just treating one fish is rolling the dice. Even if the other fish don't get it, it's still in the tank. And when the treated fish is returned back into the tank, it could just pick it right back up again.

2) You don't need a digital meter for salinity. A refractometer will work fine. Hypo is by far the easiest to get right, and the cheapest to do. Hypo or copper... those are my main suggestions. The other stuff just isn't proven, or is a bunch of bad science.

3) PVC elbow are really REALLY cheap at a hardware store and it's not really a "privacy" issue, but more of a something to call home issue.

4) Yup. See (1)!

Good luck. I don't have the link right here with me, but search around the site regarding hyposalinity and you should find a link I posted for some great instructions. Or melosu should be around shortly and will probably post it!

[Edit: Did the searching myself and found it...

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hyposalinity.html ]

Last edited:
IMO Hypo is much easier than copper (although it's still a PITA!). And unless your main tank remains fishless for AT LEAST six weeks you may never be done with ich. As long as you're doing hypo, you may as well treat all the fish at the same time. Otherwise you may have to do it all over again down the road. Having recently been through the whole ich/hypo thing I can't stress enough the value of QTing all new additions!! Good luck.

EDIT:
There are some other helpful articles linked here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/hyposalinity-for-ich-112122.html

Last edited:
1st How much does a refractometer cost. The only one i have is the swing arm kind.

2nd I have read a couple of articles and also talked to my LFS which i trust in a lot, and they told me that they always treat there system with paraguard everytime they see ICk. They say it works well for them and a lot of their customers. I know this is a new thing out on the market by seachem but i think i may give this a try.

3rd- If i decide to do the HYPO how do i slowly lower the salt level without lowering it to much all at once?

4th- I would like to put all my fish in the QT but i only have a 10 gallon QT tank for 4 fish. (Juvenile Tang, Yellow tail damsel, Clown, Mimic Tang)

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOU HELP

How much does a refractometer cost. The only one i have is the swing arm kind.
Drs. Foster and Smith sell one for about $50

If i decide to do the HYPO how do i slowly lower the salt level without lowering it to much all at once?
You can lower it .005 every 24 hrs, but only raise it half as fast - about .0025 every 24 hrs. The articles above explain a lot of that.

I would like to put all my fish in the QT but i only have a 10 gallon QT tank for 4 fish. (Juvenile Tang, Yellow tail damsel, Clown, Mimic Tang)
I treated five fish in a 26 gallon and still had to do daily water changes. I think it would be a real challenge to use a 10 gallon in this instance.

In MY QT i am using 3 packs of ceramic rings that i took out of my filter on my display tank is this O.K?

Back
Top Bottom