help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
my yellow tang has a film over one of his eyes what should i do now other than that he is fine I have him in the qt tank please help i love my tang

does tang have labored breathing ? how is his appetite? can you look closely at his eye do you see any small worm like transparent figures in the eye? also try shutting off all lights and in room use a flash light do you see anything unusual on the rest of his body ?

Has the fish been netted recently? Have you see any white salt-like spots on any of the fish in that tank? Is the fish eating? When was the last fish added to your tank? Do you quarantine new fish for 3+ weeks BEFORE placing them into your display tank? Please tell us ALL the water parameters, history of the tank, list of inhabitants and any other particulars that you can think of.
Terry B

I have not added any other fish in over 6 months the tank is all at 0 ph8.1 salinity 1.023 this is my qt tank my main tank is at 0.2 nitrites and 0,2 amonia that is why they are in the qt tank I was told that my tank must not have cycled all the way so i added some live rock and it is cycling now there are no other spots on him every other fish looks great and they are all eatting well it is just his eye i gave him some maracyn and his eye looks alittle better

I had a yellow tang that developed "cloudy eye" after I put him in my tank. I didn't have a QT tank at the time, so I chose to dip him. I used a half salt water half fresh water dip with some formalin 3 medication. I dipped him a few times over a couple of days and it all cleared up. I would only suggest dipping as a last resort because repeated netting will stress the fish out alot.

If you haven't added any fish in the past six months and you don't see any white salt-like spots on the fish then its probably not ich. A white film on an eye can indicate a bacterial infection. This is often the result of netting or another type of injury to the eye. Often all it takes is a LARGE water change with well aged and aerated saltwater and the fish will improve in a couple of days. If the eye is getting worse then you may need to treat the fish in quarantine with a good antibiotic. For bacterial eye infections my first choice would be Maracyn-Two at double strength for 7 days. Second choice would be nitrofurazone (Furacyn) using one dose on the first day ONLY at 30mg/gal. Leave the fish in the medicated water 3 (preferred) to 5 days.
Terry B

Back
Top Bottom