Help please! What's wrong with my coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was told it needed to be high up with lots of light. I Forgot the name of it. But it's starting to turn all white it's not doing well at all. And it keeps getting worse. Parameters are all in check.

Biocube 29

Ammonia with API looks to be 0.25
Nitrites 0
NitrAtes 20
Calcium 440
Alk looks to be about 180
Mag 980 (if that makes sense) almost the 1.000 mark
pH 8.2
Temp is 78-80
Phosphate 0.05
Salinity 1.026

Water change every week 5 gallons

Feed phyto every 3 days 1 drop per gallon (reef nutrition)

2 Koralia power heads 425's and a MJ1200 pump.

Running chemi pure elite, purigen and phosguard.

Lighting. AI SOL BLUE LED. it's set at noon 50%.

I've had the coral for 4 months.

This is what's it starting to look like. More so on the bottom and the sides. Not the top, yet anyway.

image-874538068.jpg

image-336699051.jpg

image-3134588883.jpg

image-2547680133.jpg

It could be too close to the light, it could be getting picked at by something in your tank, and if you actually have an ammonia reading, that could be part of it too.

Thanks for the reply. I was told it needed high light as it was way up high in the tank where I got it. And the ammonia level is always been the same per the API test it's always one down from 0.

Also the parts that aren't getting the light ate the parts turning white.

Also appears to be starting at the bottom and working its way up. The only problem is I have no room for it anywhere else in the tank. I'm gonna need a coral that requires ALOT of light for that spot.

Last edited:
The same thing was happening to my purple stylo, I wasnt sure if it was too much light or not enough. I have since moved the coral down a bit and it is actually starting to grow back it's purple fuzz on the lower half. The coral receded from the bottom up by the way which is what SPS does when it starts to go....

I;m sure you can find some other spot for it, gotta be room somewhere lol\

How high is the intensity on that AI sol that you use? Maybe you can adjust it down for a bit....

It's at 50% after 5 weeks I there acclimation period. What are some corals that need intense lighting If I find a spot I'm gonna need something for that spot. My OCD will tell me so lol.

It def looks like it might be getting too much light like already said. Move it down one and see how it goes...or just turn down the intensity on your lights and keep it there.

Also watch where you are placing it in terms of flow. Too much or too little (or too direct) can make corals VERY unhappy.

I have no idea if this thread will be useful to you, but if nothing else it is quite an interesting read:
Corals gone Wild! Jin's guide to coral on coral interaction. - Atlanta Reef Club Forums

Might give you some food for thought if you are needing to rearrange, or if you have some of the corals on this list that might be irritating the bleached one.

Although the LFS where I got it said its dying and to frag the remaining living parts of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom