Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help... Puffer Filter Problem

Hi guys...

Last night I picked up the cutest little spiny box puffer fish and well while i was sleeping he got stuck against the input of my fluval 404. It has quite a bit of suction and well, as I am kinda new to all this I didn't realize these puffers are prone to getting stuck to filters. As soon as I saw the problem (when I woke up to feed) I noticed he was missing. I frantically looked all over the tank for him and then I saw he was stuck.

His back left side was adheared pretty good and he look's really beaten up. When I shut off the filter he was still swimming but he is really hurt. I can tell by his lack of movement (0 movement in his tail, rear fins... rear fins shifted to top and bottom rather than the correct position... looks like his back is broken) and has an awkward look while he swims. His skin was pulled deep into the filter. He is still swimming like I said but I don't know what to do. Ive had him less than 24 hours and already want to cry. I love this little guy. Is there anything I can do to save him?

I asked the pet store a million questions on care... why wouldnt they have told me to be wary / cover / protect him from filters.... They knew my setup.

3DeeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Usually they make a sponge or filter material that goes over the intake to protect fish and inverts. You might want to think about that.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Definately will get one next time I am near a pet store.

Well, I just got home again... I am pretty sure he wont make it till morning. Looks like the swelling has gone down and he "looks" like he is healing, however he is having an extremely hard time fighting the current in the tank even in the center. He is extremely weak and is slow. His rear fins still do not move even a little bit and they look very unhealthy. When he escapes the current he bumps into rocks and glass and is generally disoriented. Saddens me so much but i just don't know there is anything I can do for him.

Before another fish gets into the tank Ill get the sponge to plug the filter with or will make a basket to go outside the filter intake to ensure this does not happen again.
3DeeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Thanx but no.....

Move him to QT if you can, limit the flow and let him heal. Watch for signs of infection as well.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com