Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypride View Post
Okay great. I'll go down to my LFS and see if they have it. If not hopefully the owner is in. He's awesome! When everyone says feed garlic what do you mean? Like garlic extract? Real garlic? Where do you get it?...

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1
There are garlic additives for food made just for fish your LFS should sell it. Supposedly garlic will help with a fishes immune system and even though I never suggest it, it couldn't hurt to use it.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah. I was really hoping to do most of my fish husbandry all naturally. But I don't really have time for something that may or may not work. So I was thinking medicated food and garlic...

My fish get flakes everyday, frozen thawed mysis every second day, and 24 hours a day they has seaweed (changed every evening and morning if there's left overs). I've also tried baby brine shrimp but there really not interested. Is this a good diet? Should I add more?

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1

Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypride View Post
Yeah. I was really hoping to do most of my fish husbandry all naturally. But I don't really have time for something that may or may not work. So I was thinking medicated food and garlic...

My fish get flakes everyday, frozen thawed mysis every second day, and 24 hours a day they has seaweed (changed every evening and morning if there's left overs). I've also tried baby brine shrimp but there really not interested. Is this a good diet? Should I add more?

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1
Sounds like a good diet to me
Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went to the LFS and they really had nothing. I was hoping the manager would be in but he was off. There was just stuff to dose the whole tank for internal parasites, external parasites, and fungus infection. And I didn't know if dosing the whole tank was a good idea (and HLLE isn't really any of those?).. Everyone else is fine. And dosing a big tank is costly. He's funny to watch when he eats the nori. He pokes it a bunch and then just takes a huge chunk and swims away and eats it. He also looooves mysis, but I've cut back a little so he eats more nori (he's never had greens so he's obviously lacking those vitamins). He's doing really good, my yellow eyed kole tang will go up to attack him, and since he's 4x his size and doesn't swim away my kole tang gets scared and leaves him alone, they even hid in the same hidey hole when I was scrapping the algae. I'm washing my filter sock everyday instead of every three days. Everyone says "perfect" water conditions, but perfect how? I'm testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph. What else would be a major factor for him? He also doesn't graze like my kole tang, he will sometimes nibble a rock here and there but my other tang is constantly up on the glass, rocks, sand, everything! Is this normal? He still eats like a horse just not how I thought he would.

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1
Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Based on the comment that "he has looked this way for a long time", I would lean more towards this being a living conditions issue and not a disease issue that needs to be medicated. As previously stated, a good diet with clean (normal) water conditions should get him back in shape over time.
You really can't compare the feeding methods of a Hepatus tang to a Kole tang. Look at their mouth structures. The Kole is designed to be constantly grazing while the Hepatus is designed to specifically eat specific foods. For example, a Kole will strip a tank wall clean of algae while a Hippo won't ( because it can't ). A Hippo will eat a shrimp body while a Kole won't.
I'd just continue giving him good food and possibly add some vitamins to the food or tank so that he has the best possible means to regenerate some body meat and fins.

Hope this helps
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay. Thank you. I just thought all tangs grazed like that. I'm still very much a newbie at all this. During my reading I also read electrical current can cause HLLE, and when she was netting him her light kept shocking her. So honestly whatever he has, bad diet, bad water, and electrical current all could have played a factor. His clown tank mates are doing really good, so I'm almost certain it isn't a parasite or fungus or anything like that. My boyfriend even woke up today and was like hey! The blue fish is blue! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403900755.237207.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	241558 don't mind the photobomb. The clownfish always wants to be in photos too.

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1
Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's just it, most people see a "sick" fish and want to medicate immediately when rehouseing is the better option. You have to really know what the situation is before arbitrarily medicating or you are just wasting money, time and the fish's well being.
Glad to hear he's looking better. Give him time and the right environment and he'll look even better
Keep us posted
Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heey guys!! Great news, the hippos marks are GONE. No line along is lateral line, his top fin is growing back his tail looks awsome! He's still not as dark as I'd like and has a few marks under his eye... But that'll come!

After losing most my fish, and having him survive, I know he's a fighter! He'll be back to normal very soon I think!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405481326.516584.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	243364

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405481112.580957.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	243363  
Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to see the improvements. Once again, a good environment and proper care heals a fish

Keep us posted on his progress.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes! I haven't added any medication at all, and he's doing great. I'm trying to think of different things to add to his diet that are fairly easy to get... Someone said cucumber, and a few other things. So I'm going to do some more research on that and hopefully he'll get even more different food!

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater

Tags
rescue, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com