Help shrimp attacked fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDuffs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help I woke up this morning to find my box fish missing his lips and tail, couldn't figure out how until I saw my cleaner shrimp swim up and grab him and not let go. I fed them thinking perhaps the shrimps were starving. Come home box fish on last legs not going to make it. Then I notice my male clownfish has lost his tail and is looking rather see through. Could a cleaner shrimp do this or have I got another problem somewhere? Help massively distraught :-0

Could be some parasite affecting your fish and the cleaner shrimp was just doing his job. I doubt a cleaner skunk shrimp would be that aggressive.

Yep, I second the "innocent skunk cleaner shrimp" philosophy. I have never seen them go at anything that was healthy.

Hmm. The most plausible scenario is that the skunk was having an affair with the box fish, when the clownfish finds out.

On a more serious note, I also highly doubt it was the shrimp; what else is in your tank?

Lol that must've been it! I have a fire shrimp, 2 skunks, had a boxfish and had a pair of clowns. Put clownfish in isolation within the tank last night so it was safe while I slept then let him back out today, larger clown (both bought at the same time 10 months ago) then attacked him so I re-isolated him and then he died an hour later.

Both boxfish and smaller clown were missing fins and tail. When larger clown attacked small clown she was grabbing hold of him with her mouth :-(

Back
Top Bottom