Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2002, 01:26 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Well, if it is a bacterial fungus, you'll want to treat with antibiotics, I would also recommend a med for true fungus', just incase. The real problem is that while the antibiotics are working on the fish, they are also working on the biological filter your trying to encourage

Here are the options I see.

Option 1: Remove to a quarantine tank, treat with E-mycin and Mardel's MarOxy, do daily 25% water changes on the q-tank to keep ammonia down. Treat for 5 days.

Option 2: Treat in the display tank with the same method as above. The biological filter will probably be killed off and you'll be back to square one.

Option 3: Treat in the display aquarium with a weak antibiotic that hasn't been credited with any biofilter crashes (like melafix) but also may not be strong enough to kill off the infection.

Option 4: Let the fish try to fight off the infection itself (chances are poor), doing nothing, but reducing ammonia in the display tank.

Unfortunately all these option suck. All I can tell you is at some point in time, most of us have been right where you are now. This hobby is very rewarding, but occasionally it does have a down side. If there is any info we can give you to aid you in your decision, let us know.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

This may be a true or false body fungus, The saltwater disease chart from the Maracyn packet describes both of which your fish may have.

Treatment is similar True Fungus is treated with Saltwater Maracyn Two or Saltwater Maracyn and use Saltwater Coppersafe for possible parasitic infection.

Body Fungus (Bacterial Infection) Treatment is Saltwater Maracyn.

These medication will cost more then your fish.
This is a decision you will have to make wether to spend the money for medication or humanly put the fish to sleep. This is a decision we have all had to make at one time or another.

The answer you get here or elsewhere may not be what we want to hear but Reefrunner69 and Fishfreek are two of our most informed people here
they do not PREACH but Teach.

Goodluck let us know what happens

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:43 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Here is a link to Mardel's S/W page, I was hoping it would have an online version of their chart, but I couldn't find it. It does list their products and what they are good for.

HTH,

http://www.mardel-labs.com/mardel/sfish.html

Old 11-18-2002, 04:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

This all good information. And I appreciate your help. Since my last post I went out to LFS to pick their brains and read some packages. I came up with many of Reefrunner's options and were considering them, although I didn't consider that treating the diease would also kill my cycle. Good point. Good reason for a hospital now (which i had dismissed in my mind since i had no other fish)

I also noticed that the treatment was roughly twice as expensive as the fish. As I was looking at the treament I couldn't help hearing all the other posts on these boards that talk about how bad these little guys are with other fish...

So, I'm leaning toward option 4. Let the little guy fight it out himself. If he dies I'll finish it with a fishless cycle. Here's my question: Does not treating this in the display tank put fish I add later at risk?
Old 11-18-2002, 05:09 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I certainly understand the decision. Perhaps before you add anymore fish, you will be able to set up a seperate quarantine tank. Here is a link to a post I made about quarantine...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=18

As far as putting future fish at risk...If the damsel loses it's fight, if you leave the tank fishless for 3 weeks while continueing with a fishless cycle, then parasites won't be a problem. Bacterial infections are almost always secondary, so you should be ok there.

I give you Kudos for making a hard decision with no good choices.

Old 11-18-2002, 05:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

This helps. thanks. I added some Amquel and ammonia is down between 0 & .02 (the only two colors on my test).

Fish is still swimming okay...Well see what the night brings.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well he's still alive, but it's getting worse. The spot is increasing in size and seems to be forming on the other side now.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to roadster3043 Send a message via MSN to roadster3043 Send a message via Yahoo to roadster3043
How do you put a sick fish to sleep?
I read somewhere that it was with baking soda, because the baking soda would remove all of the oxygen in a small container containing the fish.

Any comments?

TIA

JuanMa
roadster3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
How do you put a sick fish to sleep?
Take a bowl of tank water and make it almost freezing cold, either with ice cubes or put in the freezer until almost frozen. Put the fish in the water. The shock of the ice cold water should kill it almost instantly.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:01 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would like to chime in and say I have cycled all my tanks with damsels. I have never killed one. Although it is not a popular way to do things, I still have the damsels I cycled my tank in with to this day.

Tags
damsel, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com