HELP! Sick Indonesian Bamboo Shark!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaiGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased an Indonesian Bamboo Shark 8 days ago. It is just a baby, only about 5 inches long. It seemed happy and healthy when I introduced it to my very healthy and established tank. When I got it, the people at the store said it might not eat for a couple days until it feels more relaxed and comfortable with its new environment. Well, it has not eaten once since I bought it.

However, despite not eating for a week, it has always been active and healthy looking. Today when I got home from work, I could not find the shark in my tank. I finally found him in the back of it, upside down, wriggling himself out of a rock with much labor. I knew it wasn't good so I got him out of there as soon as I could. I figured he was just starving so I put him in a quarantine tank so I could force feed (I have tried and researched all other avenues) with well mashed food mixed with some of the salt water. He is swimming awkwardly, labored breathing, and often flips himself upside down. I have been helping him to upright himself... he seems to be doing that now on his own, but he still is swimming awkward and his breathing is irregular. On occasion he seems to spasm.

Help... things don't look good, but I want to do everything I can to keep him alive!

The tank is 50 gal (I know a full grown shark needs bigger... plans are in the works)...

ammonia: 0
nitrate: 0
nitrite: 0
ph: 8.2
temp: 82

Nothing poisonous... There is a maroon clown, yellow tang, tri-color fairy wrasse, powder blue, cardinal, damsel, and some chromis.

protein skimmer with carbon filter and a standard mesh filter. also i use a phosphate sponge.

ok, now the shark is hiding under a small rock i have in my QT tank. is he trying to find a place to die??

Back
Top Bottom