Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

terrible!

Well, I think that I put too much trust in my local fish store guy. I thought he knew what he was talking about, especially since he owns the place I guessed he was the expert. Each time I added new fish or changed anything, I consulted with him first. When I raised the salinity, they had told me to do it at once because the lack of salt would hurt the fish more than bringing back up.
Sadly, it looks as if my lemonpeel is dying. She is laying at the bottom of the tank, breathing hard. My ammonia is at 0, nitrite almost exactly 0, and nitrate, just a tine above 0. My salinity is .023, and pH is 8.2. The fish I have left (the 3 chromies and the blenny, the star, and the colt coral) are all doing seemingly wonderful. But that angel is about to die. I brought a water sample in to the LFS today just to double check my numbers, and he said that they were all ok. He knows the history, but says that he didn't think it would have contributed this far along. I am sad that I have lost so many fish. I think that I will wait some time before adding anything, and just keep these guys that I have surviving. How do I go about getting a good LFS? I tried Petco and they seemed to not have a clue to what they were talking about. I put too much trust in the guys that I was using.
Any advice from here? Thank you guys for your help...you have been wonderful, I just wish I would have talked to you sooner before all this happened.
Sadly,
Mary

Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
steve-s

Re: terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcos
How do I go about getting a good LFS? I tried Petco and they seemed to not have a clue to what they were talking about. I put too much trust in the guys that I was using.
Any advice from here?
Personally I would suggest you not look at the LFS as a source of information but rather a source for the supplies you need, nothing more. Once in a while you will stumble across a decent operator that is just as interested in your success as their own. Unfortunately, they are few and far between.

Your best ally is knowledge. Read as much as you can here and the many resources on the net. I think you would benefit greatly from a few books that can help as a guide and reference as you progress.

There's some suggested ones here...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

Or you can visit your local library for what they have to offer.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-21-2005, 01:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

where i stand

Okay, so I figured I would utilize my resources. I have spent the last couple days with my head in the books every free second I get. But, if I may ask a question, that would be appreciated.
I think I still have questions on the whole ammonia cycle. I have been diligently testing my water since all of this happened so I can figure out what is going on. Currently, my ammonia is back down to 0, my nitrites are almost all the way to 0, and my nitrates are up a little....about 10ppm. Do I do a water change to bring the nitrates down? Do I let things go as they are? What is the best way to run this? I think I get confused here a bit.
THe fish in there seem happy, as the the inverts. I am going to wait a while before I do anything...and study study study!
THanks y'all for the help!
Mary
Old 09-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #14
steve-s

Re: where i stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcos
I think I still have questions on the whole ammonia cycle. I have been diligently testing my water since all of this happened so I can figure out what is going on. Currently, my ammonia is back down to 0, my nitrites are almost all the way to 0, and my nitrates are up a little....about 10ppm. Do I do a water change to bring the nitrates down? Do I let things go as they are? What is the best way to run this? I think I get confused here a bit.
Ammonia and nitrite are the biggest concerns, they need to be zero at all times and are the most destructive to life in the tank. Moreso the ammonia though. Nitrate is a much less harmful nitrogen to fish but invertebrates are/can be sensitive to it depending on the species and the level.

10 ppm NO3 in a system with simple mobile inverts and fish is actually not bad. Personally in a new tank I try to keep them closer to 5 ppm depending on what I will be adding to it. Some will say levels upto or beyond 40-60 ppm in FO systems (no inverts) is fine which I completely disagree with. It represents a nasty breeding ground for opportunistic bacteria & parasites living in the system waiting for a fish with a compromised immune system. If you need to bring that down for whatever reason, water changes with well aged/aerated SW is the best choice. NNR takes time depending on the bioload and set up, which can take several months or longer for the system to acheive. It usually does not happen until the waste load becomes static and the additions of new animals is less frequent or not at all.

Does that help some or were you looking for something more specific?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick, puffer, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com