Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

help! sick puffer?

Okay, so this past week I had a colt coral (a newly added guy) who wasn't looking so hot. I did a water change about a week ago as well. My levels I think were all okay.

Backup, here's what I have in my tank...I had, for a while, a star, clown, blenny. Then I added a lemonpeel angel, three green chromies, and a spotted puffer. I had my tank up and running for a couple months when I added these last guys.

Today I realized my little puffer was kinda lying on a rock. Then he would go up and float at the top of the tank, seeming to get air. I decided to test the levels (all the other fish seemed to be fine), and found that my nitrites and nitrates were zero, my salinity .025, and pH was fine. However, my ammonia was almost at 1.0. So, I took emoergency action and did about a 40% water change to see if I could bring the ammonia down and save my puffer..

My ammonia level is down to about .25, and everyone seems happy but that little puffer...he is still floating at the top, kind of tipped a little by the protein skimmer. I am also worried becuase my salinity somehow dropped to about .018 after the water change, I am not sure how that happened. Is this going to hurt these guys (it is 1am and I also ran out of salt so I have no way to bring this up until tomorrow morning). I know that sudden drops in salinity can hurt the marine life, so I am concerned.

Any advice about the puffer? Should I still do another water change tomorrow to continue to bring the ammonia down? Any help with this would be great.

Thanks....
Mary

Old 09-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
steve-s

The drop in salinity is not all that bad although a tad more than you'd like in one go. Fish can tolerate it quite well for the most part. I hope you double checked the reading to be sure. It's increases in salinity that are damaging and must be done very slowly over days. The starfish/inverts will be the ones that will react the worst to the drop, not the fish.

Definately continue with the water changes to eliminate the ammonia. Also continue to monitor nitrite and nitrate for a bit as well. The cause is from adding to much too fast especially to a young tank. Fish primarily should be added slowly, tank size depending. One every month or so unless mated pairs. It gives the biofilter time to catch up to each new addition. As you can see the addition of too many taxes the biofilter and allows a rise in the nitrogens.

Be sure the water used for the changes is well aged/aerated for a day ahead.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #3

oh no!

Well, I think that the salinity (or something) caused some damage last night. The puffer still isn't looking well, the cromies are swimming madly back and forth and they looklike they are having seizures, the tang is losing his color slightly. Suprisingly the coral is doing rather well, and so is my little clown. I am going to the store first thing when they open this morning to get salt, but what is the best way to raise this and still be able to save these guys. I feel so bad. How much is to much to raise the salinity at once? Please help!!!
Mary
Old 09-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

quick question for high bio-load types of fish etc... dont you need a bit more then a skimmer? I've always seen people who have these types of fish have a skimmer and a mech. filter of sorts...
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #5

Yes, I have a protien skimmer and a waterfall type filter as well.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
steve-s

Oddly enough, the drop in salinity is not what's causing the fish's distress. The ammonia is larger consern. Ammonia affects the gills quite severly causing hyperplasia which can take some time to recover from. The damage is often permanent to a certain degree. The fish will continue to look distressed for a few days yet.

As far as your salinity increase, you have two ways to go about this. One, do your water changes with less than normal SW values and slowly increase the salinity over days. You need to be very careful here not to exceed 0.001/day. Mix your new SW to 1.019-1.020 to be on the safe side since you'll want to do larger water changes in order to eliminate the ammonia. Please be sure the new SW mixes at least overnight before use. You'll do far more damage than good if you use the SW too quickly.

Two, once the ammonia is dealt with, simpley allow the water to evap and top off with SW at the desired salinity. It will eventually reach the right level in time. This is the least stressful to the inhabitants since it is a slow process they can adjust to it rather easily.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #7

sad day

Well, after much effort I was able to get the ammonia down and the salt back up. However, the puffer never recovered, and this morning he was belly up. Two of the chromies have the shimmies (it only seems to be at night though, weird. Everyone else seems to be doing well. I felt so bad...I am not sure what to do now...I did another water change this morning to get the last trace of ammonia down. I don't know if I should wait a while before adding a replacement fish?
Also, my poor little starfish seems to be being pecked at by the lemonpeel. We hardly ever see the star because he is under the sand most of the time, but I am worried that the angel may hurt him. Should I consider removing the star?

Thanks for the help.
Mary
Old 09-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I was going to ask about inverts...salinity changes and water quality can quickly knock them out of commission. If you have snails, I would try accounting for them. Dieing snails hiding behind rocks can add to the problems quickly.

Just to mention, you seem to be adding fish quite rapidly and that may be your problem. Your filtration does not have time to adapt to the load you are imposing on it.

As far as the starfish, keep an eye on it. You also have fish in there that are not known to do too well with corals.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mary you need to slow way down... You must have missed the part where Steve says you added to many fish to fast...
What size tank do you have and how much lr, besides the skimmer you have a HOB filter?
You need to give the tank time to recover before you add anything, you may still loose fish /inverts from this so you need to slow way down.
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby... Only bad things happen fast!!!

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
steve-s

Re: sad day

Sorry for your loss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcos
and the salt back up.
This is far too quick of a change depending on where the salinity is now. Two days ago the SG was reported at 1.018, at best, the SG should be 1.020-21 at this point. I was quite serious about raising the salinity. The fish cannot adjust quickly and it can affect them severely. You must increase salinity no more than 0.001 each day. It should have taken a little over a week to get back to a proper reef salinity.

Quote:
I don't know if I should wait a while before adding a replacement fish?
As with what the others have said, you need to take your time. Wait at least a month before fish additions. Be sure the ammonia is stable on it's own without intervention on your part before you consider any other additions, fish or otherwise.

Quote:
Also, my poor little starfish seems to be being pecked at by the lemonpeel. We hardly ever see the star because he is under the sand most of the time, but I am worried that the angel may hurt him. Should I consider removing the star?
I've always cautioned against sea stars in newer tanks and even more so if this is a sandsifting star. They really do quite poorly in a captive environment unless in a very large tank with a thriving sandbed. Even the decorative stars should be kept in no less than a 100 gal tank, plenty of LR, well matured (1+ year) and absolutely no competition for food resources.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick, puffer, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com