Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help-Sick V-tail grouper

I have a 2 1/2 inch V-tail grouper. He has been extremely healthy, and eats chunks of peeled shrimp or fish, that I brought home from my step dads seafood company.

Over the last 3 or 4 days he has been acting erratic and I notices his forehead turned bright red, the rest of his body turned a pale red-pink, and his eyes have been bulging a little.

This morning he wont eat, and his right eyes is a little cloudy.

Is this some type of sickness, or is it possible he was stung by an anemone?

What can I do?

I will post pics when I get home later.

Thanks,

Billy

Old 04-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Please do the routine water tests and post the results here. The cloudy eye is usually indicative of a bacterial infection. This will sometimes coincide with an outbreak of ich. What else is in the tank? The situations mentioned above are usually brought on by stress and poor water quality.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The water is:

Alk - 0
NO2 - 0.2
NO3 - 0
PH - 8.2
Ammonia - .087

The only other fish in the tank is a fuzzy dwarf lion about the same size. There are 2 anemones, a feather duster, a chocolate chip star and a few hermit crabs.

He seems to be rubbing a lot around his forehead, and it is a darker red than the rest of his body, but not any reder than he gets when he is excited, so im not sure if it is blood and scrapes or just his color. The rest of his body is kinda pinky. No white spots of any kind of stuff on him, just poor color. His eyes look kind of strange like he is "out of it" and the right one is a little cloudy and he just sits under his favorite rock or deep in his shell.

He just ate a day ago, and the lionfish is healthy.

If he is sick, how can I treat him?.....I have no QT, and their are a couple anemones and tube worms in the tank.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
steve-s

Can you post a pick? Considering the natural coloration of this species, your descriptions not that definitive.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have really bad water. NH-.087 and NO2-.2 I would turn red too. 8O
You need to do some WC's to get your water quality up.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

This was him on the 22nd.....

This is him on the 23rd.....

Should I do a good water change tomarrow?....what % if so?

I know he is tough so I hope he makes it, after the water change, is there anything else I can do.

The lion is fine still.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need a WC now. Do you have any prime or similar to detoxify the NH3? A fish will not live long at all in that much NH3. You can try vacuuming debris from the bottom. I am guessing the raw shrimp + sloppy eaters has caused this water problem. How large is this tank?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank is 10 gal.

I am about to move in a week or two and I have a 55 gal I am going to set up for them.

I have been doing 1 gal water changes once or twice a week for the last few months, the tank is 4 months old. I have a skilter 250 with an air stone in it.

The fish have been healthy up until this point.

I pick up all the shrimp that they dont eat, but im sure some gets missed.

I have some Cylce for my fresh water tanks, should I add some to the tank?
Old 04-25-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

8O I know you do not want to hear this but, if you want to save these fish see if the local store will take them back. You have a grouper, a fuzzy dwarf lion, 2 anemones, a feather duster, a chocolate chip star and a few hermit crabs in a 10 gallon tank. In short. I can not be done. You have 2 of the heaviest bio-load producing fish you can get. This is not even feasible in a 55 gal. If you do not do something really soon you will lose everything in your tank.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDemTails
The tank is 10 gal.
You kidding me.. 8O

Quote:
I am about to move in a week or two and I have a 55 gal I am going to set up for them.
Even a 55 gal is far too small for this species. This grouper will get close to 10". It belongs in a system about 3 times this size.

You need to increase your water changes to about 50% and evry day until ammonia and nitrite are no longer detectable. You also need to find it a new home. As long as the grouper stays confined like this, it will not live long.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick, sick, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com