Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I don't think that you'll have a problem if you do that. I would just keep sand out of the tank with the new LR. Also, from a bunch of reading that I did, I found out that getting isopods in your tank is on par with winning the lottery, probability wise. It is a rare occurance, and I don't play the lotto, so I guess we can say that these little @#$$!@!'s are my winnings. Anyways I have yet to see one in quite a while. So i'm assuming that they appear in finite numbers.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
[quote="scuba_steve"]are these all coming from the rock ya got from liverocks.com ???
if so i need to rethink what im gonna do with the 50 lbs i have coming to me !! i dont/cant be catching fish there is no way with out pulling out all the rock i have alreadyquote]

I wouldn't worry too much about these. I haven't read/heard of many people having problems with these comming on LR. I got close to 200lbs from liverocks.com and haven't had any problems. Also dipping the LR in seltzer water w/ the same SG as you tank will often help to get rid of many hitchhickers.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to noplac2hyd
im doing pretty good now i havnt had any more problems the only thing comming out of the rock now are good little things no more blood suckers
Old 02-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I found one of these in my filter sock that I use occasionally. He was rather big and had beady eyes. I have never seen any on my fish though.

Mandarins won't eat these?
Old 02-25-2004, 01:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
more likely, the isopod would eat its way out of the mandarin if one were ingested.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksplat
The darker the isopod is, the more blood that he's sucked out of your fish.
Eww.....

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
more likely, the isopod would eat its way out of the mandarin if one were ingested
eww again!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I found one pretty much exactly like the pic on my Bangaii. The pod was on him for two days, now is gone. We attempted to net him out for a fw dip, but gave up when he got stressed. He decided the cave with the Peppermint Shrimp was cozy and took up refuge with them. This afternoon the pod is gone. Either the shrimp got it or it left. We'll be watching for it, the nuker is on standby.

FWIW I got my rock from Liverocks.com, Great stuff but maybe a hitchhiker haven.

Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 07:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
I just found three on two of my percula clowns.....

They haven't touched my yellow tang and four blue reef chromis.....

Will they thing kill the fish?

I don't want to catch the fish with all the rock in the tank and stress them out.

These things let go during the day..but when the lights come on they are on the clowns. At least one of these bugs are on a clown.

On EDIT: I also got my 100lbs of rock from Liverocks.com. Beautiful rock though! And would most deffinatly use them again.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did it look like this?

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com