Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to 4inchSandBed
HELP!! Starfish getting attacked

I just picked up a Sand Sifting sea star and as soon as i put him into my tank , my peppermint shrimp and hermits attacked it. Is this normal?? i think the Star fish is dead now but i cant really tell. I was unaware that these werent compatible. At the LFS they had the stars with Cleaner and Fire shrimp and they all seemed to get along. What should i do? how can i tell if the star is still alive?

Old 08-21-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has the star moved? I have a choc chip star and every now and then my cleaner shrimp will pick at it and the hermits will crawl over it. I have never had them attack it before though. Are there any tears in the stars flesh, little white cuts?

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:44 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
most likely the shrimp and hermits knew the starfish was not doing well and hastened the process along.

What type of acclimation procedures did you use?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i used the drip method... for like 2 hours. When i put the star fish in it immediately started to burrow under the sand and looked totally fine. I dont see any visable cuts but his little feet on the underside dont appear to be moving. I was concerned a lil when i left the lfs cuz when they took the star out it was exposed to the air for like a split second. I read somewhere that they should never be exposed to the air. I mention it to the lfs guy but he told me it would be fine. IF it is dead should i remove it?

Maybe ill try to get a refund
Old 08-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

a split second would not do anything but i do think its strange for them to jump on it like that even if it wasnt doing well i would leve it in thier untill you know for shure its dead

i bought a large general and the guy from big als ripped the bag dumped it and 2 cleaner shrimp on the floor then dumped them into another bag when i got home the 2 cleaners died that night almost right away the star could barly move and could not climb up the glass for a week but i left him and now hes fine
Old 08-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

any other suggestions??
Old 08-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

No other suggestions. I think the star is a goner. The likely scenario is as Hara suggested above.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attacked, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com