Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a skimmer, I have to empty it about every three days. This morning was the first time I've ever noticed the bubbles. I added a hermits about 3 weeks ago, but no other fish since the Yellow Tang and Yellow-eye Tang. Oh, I have 90lbs of this rock. The fish showed no signs of stress last night when I went to bed, I always check on them being that the tank is next to my bed.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

PH: 8.2

Old 10-06-2004, 01:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Maybe the boxfish died and released toxins in the water and the clowns just made it?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, that's the only thing I can come up with, that or something startled him and he did it. All the dead fish were around him, and my clown is in love with powerhead on the other side of the tank so the toxin might not have made it up there yet.

*sigh*
Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Temperature? You didn't have a heater stick on, did you?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

That 65g in your profile kinda concerns me if it's up to date. 3 tangs? Have you had trouble with ammonia before? Seems like there'd be some serious water quality issues that could figure into the diagnosis - not sure how, but they could.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:47 AM   #17

I would go with the Boxfish theory also, Clowns are very hardy and less likely to be harmed by the toxins as fast, good thing you got him out of there when you did.

I do know after my carpet anemone explosion, the tangs were the first to go... they are not tollerable at all to bad water conditions..

Sorry to hear of your loss though, I have been through it as well.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

How is the clown today?
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update:

My clown fish has successfully made it through two nights in his QT. He's eating just fine and not showing any signs of stress, so I think he's going to be OK. As far as water quality issues in the past, the only issues I've had were nitrates, but after purchasing some nitra sponge and adding it to my sump (15gal built into the tank) it's been sitting at zero. I can't get an exact ammonia reading because the first interval in my test is .25, so it has always been slightly higher than zero, but it's never been the same color as .25. The owner of my LFS (who is totally awesome) used the high quality water test kits that they use at the store and said there was nothing wrong as far as SG, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, or PH, that would contribute to an overnight tank wipeout. He also is giving me a few free damsels (being that i flushed $200 worth of fish i bought from him) today to check to make sure everything is OK in my tank. I've done essentially an 80% water change using the water from the LFS. The owner did say bubbles on the surface were and indication of Ostratoxin poisoning.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

65G
Naso Tang
Yellow Tang
Yellow Eye Tang
Cubicus Boxfish
Green Angler
Maroon Clown

The only external sign on the fish that looked out of the ordinary was my Naso Tang had black blotches all over it.

Maybe the Bio Load caught Up with you. You had 6 fish that get large in a small tank. The naso was sick. I would also say the ammonia was a result in deaths.

Kaye

Tags
night, tan, tank crash

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com