Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

HELP! Tank crashed over night...

Went to bed at 2:00 AM this morning and my tank was great. Got up this morning at 8:00 AM and every fish in my tank except my GS Maroon Clown was dead. I've had this group of fish for about 6 months no problem. I ran to the fish store and got 5 gallons of their water and set up my QT and got my clown in it.

Parameters (which matched up at the pet store):

Size: 65g
Ammonia: <.25
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Salinity: 1.025

All inverts are doing fine including my serpent star

Fish in the tank that died:

Naso Tang
Yellow Tang
Yellow Eye Tang
Cubicus Boxfish
Green Angler

The only external sign on the fish that looked out of the ordinary was my Naso Tang had black blotches all over it.

I added carbon to my sump. Any other ideas before I do a massive water change?

Old 10-06-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't really have any thoughts--just that I'm sorry about your fish. That's devestating. I hope the clown makes it . . . well, one thing--in FW black spots can be an indication of an ammonia spike, but the black is actually when the fish starts to heal. --So if you've been testing your water and know there hasn't been a spike that can't be it.

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update:

I've just noticed that there is a small collection of bubbles around the edges of the tank at the top of the water. I've never seen this before. Could that be an indication of what the problem is?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wait, your ammonia is greater than .25. That was probably the cause. Did you add anything new? How much LR do you have? That happened to me with my ugf. It got clogged and ammonia spiked. Check the lines and filtration in your sump. hmm... all inverts are okay, sounds like a disease or parasite to me and the ammonia spike may be caused by the die-off. All I can say is do 20% water changes over the next week.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The ammonia is probably a result of the deaths although prolonged exposure to even low levels of ammonia can cause health issues.

What was teh temperature of the tank? Feeding habits. How long has the tank been setup? Was their visable agression with the tangs earlier? Where there any signs of a power outage?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry, ammonia was less than .25. I'm a senior in college. I've been doing higher math for too long to know the difference between "greater than" and "less than." Coloring of the drop test was somewhere between 0 and .25. No clogs anywhere. I have a built in sump on the back of my tank and water is flowing in into just fine and the pump is pumping through the filter and back in the tank.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The bubbles proably represent some excessive DOC's in the water. DO you have a skimmer and if so whens the last ime you cleaned it?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Also, any new additions lately? Flashing, lethargic behavior?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank has been running since last October. Temp is at 75 deg. I feed them twice a day and they ate greedily as usual last night. The Tangs didn't mess with each other because the Yellow Tang tried to step up to the Naso Tang when I first added the Yellow and Yellow Eye Tang (about 3 months ago) and the Naso kicked his fins all around the tank (sigh she had great personality). No power outages through the night (my tank is on APC battery back-up anyway).
Old 10-06-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
What is the PH?

Tags
night, tan, tank crash

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com