Help this stuff killed my coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith49

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was given a 125 gallon saltwater reef tank that was neglected and badly infested with aptasia. I treated the tank for a month with aptasia x and killed all of it. and cleaned it up cleaned filters bought new metal halide lights. 2 months down the road the only coral in the tank Kenya Tree died and i wasnt sure why. It has 7 fish and they are fine. but what has happened the water started to cloud bad and this whit slime is all over the rock ,glass, everything. Water changes will clear the water but this stuff stays. The lights make it worse so i leave them off. all water parameters are good except for ammonia it is high. seems to be no cycle going on. no one in my area kows what happened. Most say a biological filter crash. I posted some pic's

Thx, Keith

Pictures by keith4911 - Photobucket
user_online.gif
progress.gif

In an established tank there shouldn't be any ammonia at all, that will soon kill your fish

I'm not exactly sure as to what is happening but I do know you need to change water out until there is no ammonia

When you say you had a lot of aiptasia that you killed I am wondering what is a lot and if that could be where your ammonia came from or if it was from a move. I know that a lot of people have their own ideas of how to move a used tank but I always get stablity from sea chem and instant ocean bio sphere to use when I set it back up. Other people change out the old sand bed for new sand. Others use this Cleaning the Water Column with Poly-Filter | reef tools .

You need to find out where your ammonia is coming from so you can get rid of it these are just bandaid fixes.

Personally I have never had a problem in any of my tanks with aiptasia x. y money is on it being a different problem. Since it's two months past cleaning the filter/aiptasia it can't be those.

Have you done anything to the tank recently? Have you been testing the water since you got it?

Back
Top Bottom