Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help treating unknown diease

Well this is my first post here, I'm been lurking on here for awhile. I love that there are alot of 'active' people here. I've had my 125gal tank setup now for 3 years now with some pretty good luck till recently. I currently have Koran angel and a Blue Hippo tang that have these white blotches mostly on face. This started a month or so ago and I don't think its Ich or Velvet but don't have a clue. Thank you for any help and suggestions.
[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome! Too bad you had to join on bad terms with your tank

do you have any pics?? What other fish do you have in the tank?

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Old 06-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Sorry, tried the pic the first time and it didn't go thru. I currently have a Blue Hippo, Koran angel, 3 clowns, Foxface,and Picaso trigger. I have had this setup for 3 years or so. Both fish seem to be eating and acting normal. Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow that is a very white face! Did you add any new fish prior to this disease? Or have all the fish been in there for the three years?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o.Kelsey.o0
Oh wow that is a very white face! Did you add any new fish prior to this disease? Or have all the fish been in there for the three years?
No, the Koran was the last fish I added. He is also the most aggressive by far. He's been in there for 2 years or so. Just got some foramlin. I will try a dip with that. What do you think?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah that is really really weird, hopefully someone else will chime in here since I am no expert in diseases. I think a formalin dip would probably be a good idea if you can catch him lol. Does it look like he is just loosing color in the face or does it look like something is on his scales?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o.Kelsey.o0 View Post
Yah that is really really weird, hopefully someone else will chime in here since I am no expert in diseases. I think a formalin dip would probably be a good idea if you can catch him lol. Does it look like he is just loosing color in the face or does it look like something is on his scales?

Both are just losing color on their face pretty much.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m wondering if it`s HLLE. Here is a good link on it. Check it out and see. Usually in tangs they will have white spots that look like flaking near the face.

Marine Head & Lateral Line Erosion: A Description of the Syndrome and a Review of its Speculated Causes by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I`m wondering if it`s HLLE. Here is a good link on it. Check it out and see. Usually in tangs they will have white spots that look like flaking near the face.

Marine Head & Lateral Line Erosion: A Description of the Syndrome and a Review of its Speculated Causes by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Bingo. Got a few opinions these last few days and they all came up with HLLE. Really sucks. My sons favorite is the Blue Hippo and he just looks sick and after researching there seems to be little to nothing that can be done about it. I pride myself in learning as much as I can and caring for my fish the best I can. Thank you for all your help.

Tags
die, eat, eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com