Help Turbo Snails Dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw65galma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day I found one of my turbos in the middle of the tank upside down closed up.

So I poked at him and flipped him over.

He opened up moved around a bit and closed up.

I left him for a day and he was still in the same position the next day.

The next day, I pulled him out, thinking he was dead and as i was moving him he came out again.

I held him near the glass he sort of grabbed on to it, but not enough to hold himself.

After a few attempts I left him on the live rock where he's just moving a little bit.

They Day after, I poked him and he was dead...the smell confirmed it.

They next day Another is laying in the middle upside down..barely moving

HELP!
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The water Parms are correct, the other 6 Turbos are fine, there is Plenty to eat..

This is a 65 Gal 4 month old tank.
PH is 8.2-8.4
Salinity is 1.022-.024
temp is 80
Nitrite = 0
Phospate = 5.0 (running kents phospahate sponge)
Copper= .05 mg/L Running Coppersorb just in case this was it)
Amoninia = 0 and high has only been .25
Nitrate = between 0 and 40

Tank Currently has:
10 damsels
6 turbos (now 5 and 1 on the way out)
3 Peppermint shrimp
4 small Emerald Crabs
2 small Brittle stars
2 Queen Conch Snails
35lbs of close by LFS Cured LR
Half Deep Coral Bed

Any Ideas?

thanks

:( Sorry bout the snails, but unfortunately thats pretty common with turbo's. The reason is because they are cold water snails. In our tanks, its simply too warm for them. Acclimation also plays a huge role in their survival. Any snail should be acclimated very slowly.

Squishy

Thanks for the quick response.

What is a good warm water snail to get?

And how long is a good acclimation period?

I usually do 2 hours, should I do more for the snails?

Thans again

sw65galma said:

is this in the mian thank that they are in? if it is that would kill all inverts. and if you have live rock in there too that would not be live anymore. if you treat with copper then you have to pull out the fish and put them in a new tank and treat the new tank with the copper and then move them back to the main tank once they are better.

WarOrks15 is right.. even tiny traces of copper will kill all your snails and most all other inverts!

WarOrks15 said:
sw65galma said:

is this in the mian thank that they are in? if it is that would kill all inverts. and if you have live rock in there too that would not be live anymore. if you treat with copper then you have to pull out the fish and put them in a new tank and treat the new tank with the copper and then move them back to the main tank once they are better.

Must be in the water.

I've never treated anything with copper.

I'll work on getting rid of it immediately

It might be best to put the inverts in a QT tank in the meantime so you don't lose anymore.

If you have never used anything with copper, then your test might be faulty. Do you have other inverts in there?

is the tank used or new. if it was used then some one else might have put copper in the tank and now it is leakeing out of the tank in the water. same with the live rock.

Yes i have tons of others..
And the tank is new, so is the LR.

Thats' why i was a bit weary of the copper...

i had 7 snails
4 Emerald Crabs
3 pepermint shrimp (molting like crazy)
2 Queen Conch snails
2 brittle stars

All acclimated the same way.

Tap water...

Light dawn on marble head....I should test the tap water (smacks forehead)

Back
Top Bottom