Help! What Happened to My Goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

Below is a picture I took of my Gold Head Sleeper Goby today....

Yesterday, there was nothing wrong with him. He has been in the tank about 2 months. He has done great, now all of the suddon this. He's not dead yet, but I doubt he'll be alive much longer now...

** Update ** He's no longer alive, my sally lightfoot crab got ahold of the weak goby and is taking him apart.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Attachments

• 104_1709.jpg
    104_1709.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
The first thing I would do is take some water test and post them and I would do some frequent PWC`s. Is that some kind of injury where that pink spot is near the tail?

The first thing I would do is take some water test and post them and I would do some frequent PWC`s. Is that some kind of injury where that pink spot is near the tail?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying... Last night he was flawless. Today, He has an injury. The only thing I can think of is if the Sally Light foot. I don't know what else could have caused that injury?

But why would a perfectly healthy Goby let the Sally lightfoot catch and harm him?

-TheChad

YBut why would a perfectly healthy Goby let the Sally lightfoot catch and harm him?

-TheChad
If the crab is big enough and has his hole next to the gobies hole and the goby was sleeping or in there it is possible for a Sally to grab him they are opertunistic when they get bigger so I probably would banish him to a sump ...It def is an injury and while it looks bad I have seen worse , keep your perameters in check and he should heal fine .Also watch for other nasty hitchhikers at nite that may have done this , and remove , just remember to watch your hands if it is something nasty it could wack you off too :)

The injury also could have caused a secondary bacterial infection. The injury could have been days old but flared up as an infection. Sadielynn could have something there also.

Well when i posted this the Goby was still alive, but a few minutes later I went back to look at him, and Sally had gotten him and had already started taking him apart.

Which makes me wonder if sally hadn't caused the injury to begin with. But once the goby was weak sally didn't hesitate to finish him off.

-TheChad

Sorry for your loss.

I lost my little yellow clown goby the other day :( Also found one of my hermit crabs eating the dead body, not nice to see.

While not nice to see it shows your clean up crew at work ...
I think that the sally may have had something to do with this and he should be placed in a sump . You had a really nice goby there ,but a sally will take out anything it deems "weak" given the opertunity he did ... I would say do not shy away from another goby just because but you may wish to rethink the crab ... Most are not reef safe even if labeled as so . Most are oppertunistic and will grab on for a free meal . Gobies just happen to be a fish that sleep in caves and are more vonurable than most fish at night Sorry for your Loss :(

Back
Top Bottom