help...white spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put a coral beauty and three spot damsel from a friends tank into my mini reef. Two days later i saw the whitespot, like grains of sugar on his fins and face(the coral beauty). My fault, im spewin i messed up the QT rule. Anyway as soon as i saw it i scooped them both out into another tank(it wasnt empty, had to rearrange fish to fit them) and am treating it on my LFS advice, with vertaid( Quinine hydrochloride Malachite Green) and Tri Sulfa tablets(sulfadiazine,sulfadimidine,sulfamerazine) They said i only use the trisulfa twice (once then wait three days) and the vertaid every day and it shouldnt harm the biological filter. Do i need to treat my other fish too, they told me to put the treatments in my mini-reef but im a bit cautious. Should i put all fish in for treatment or wait and watch closely. This is the first time i have encountered a SW disease and im not happy about it.

You can try the wait and watch. But you may have to end up removing them, sorry to say. Keep your fingers crossed.
The drug you are using is rather harsh (Malachite Green), be careful with the dosage. Is the tank bare bottom, no substrate or decorations?

no, it has coral sand and a little tiny bit of LR doesnt quite qualify as QT, but didnt want to move anything especially now they are in there(whitespot), just wanted them away from my other fish

my baby blue tang has 1 spot on one fin. the spot is quite large, similiar in size to a grain of coral sand, but not quite the same as the Coral Beauty. Could he have caught it that size in 1 day, or could it be a growth of some kind. Getting some sponges in there today so i can start another QT and treat all my fish possibly with Hyposalinity, will my fish tolerate that. They are
1 Baby Blue tang
2 Clarkii Clowns
1 Zebra Goby
1 Banana Wrasse
1 blue green/ chromis
and the new Coral Beauty and three spot damsel.(will they tolerate it after treatment with malachite green?)

Yes, treat all fish and hypo is fine as long as you use a refractometer, a hydrometer won't cut it. Hypo will not hurt the fish at all, as long as you lower / raise sg slowly per the article below. Change most of the water in the tank with the malachite green, and run carbon in there. Also, let it go fallow 4-5 weeks while treating hypo in other tank. If you cannot get a refractometer, copper (cupramine) is the only other proven way to cure ICH. Remember the ICH in the main tank will not die off for 4-5 weeks, so even if copper cures them in 3 weeks, wait the extra 2 more or they risk getting it again. Let us know what you decide...

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/cupramine.html

my tank just broke out with ich for the first time. I have a quarintine tank but it is a small 5 gal. With having two tangs and a puffer it is not the route i want to take.
my question: is lowering the salinity a good way to go about treating my fish. I have a 90 gal tank

nasa tang, yellow tang, porcupine puffer, clown(which has the Ich) 2 yellow tailed damsel, 3 stripe.
7 Hermit crabs
1 choc. chip Star fish

You could put the star and the hermits in the 5 gallon for the hypo. Do you have any live rock or live sand?

I do have LS but no LR yet just 60-80lbs of base rock.
I was looking at buying LR this weekend but wouldnt add it untill after it was cured.
but will probably hold off until i treat the Ich. I also have a 10 gallon tank that i coiuld use for qt but has no filter, but the clown is the only fish with spots so i figured on treating him in the mini 5 gal. whats the chances that the others develop ich if i treat tonight.
thanks for your help (newbie here)

Actually, good thing you didn't get the rock yet, this will work....OK..
Set up the 10 gallon and move the inverts to it. You can then treat the fish in the mains with the hyposalinity treatment.
I gave you a link in an earlier post that explains the procedure, refer to that for specifics.
One piece of equipment you will need to get is a refractometer. The swing arm hydrometers are too inaccurate to use for this. Several of the site sponsor sell them.
Maybe you could start another thread and we can talk you through this. Where in Ohio?

Kurt - thanks for your help!!
I live in Dayton,
Do you think i will be able to get the supplies i need at a lfs.
I do not have internet at home so i really wont be able to get walked through it this weekend but with the site you gave me and picking up a hydrometer i should be set...anything else i should be aware of before doing
Scott

correction I will be buying a refractometer...
and this process takes 6 weeks correct..

You should be set. Once you have the refractometer, you can start lowering the SPG , over the course of 2-3 days until you get to .009 spg. I treated my fish at this level for 4 weeks with good results. You can then observe them for 2 weeks to make sure they are clean. Watch the PH closely, the changes in the SPG may do funky things to the PH, so you may have to buffer.
after the tretment is finished, remember to bring up the SPG very slowly, like .001 per day. Bringing up to fast can hurt your fish.
Call your LFS first, I couldn't find a refractometer around here, I had to order it online.
Here is the one I ordered, it works great
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=REFRACT-PA&Category_Code=Hydrometer

Back
Top Bottom