Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
help...white spot

I put a coral beauty and three spot damsel from a friends tank into my mini reef. Two days later i saw the whitespot, like grains of sugar on his fins and face(the coral beauty). My fault, im spewin i messed up the QT rule. Anyway as soon as i saw it i scooped them both out into another tank(it wasnt empty, had to rearrange fish to fit them) and am treating it on my LFS advice, with vertaid( Quinine hydrochloride Malachite Green) and Tri Sulfa tablets(sulfadiazine,sulfadimidine,sulfamerazine) They said i only use the trisulfa twice (once then wait three days) and the vertaid every day and it shouldnt harm the biological filter. Do i need to treat my other fish too, they told me to put the treatments in my mini-reef but im a bit cautious. Should i put all fish in for treatment or wait and watch closely. This is the first time i have encountered a SW disease and im not happy about it.

Old 10-20-2004, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You can try the wait and watch. But you may have to end up removing them, sorry to say. Keep your fingers crossed.
The drug you are using is rather harsh (Malachite Green), be careful with the dosage. Is the tank bare bottom, no substrate or decorations?

Old 10-20-2004, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

no, it has coral sand and a little tiny bit of LR doesnt quite qualify as QT, but didnt want to move anything especially now they are in there(whitespot), just wanted them away from my other fish
Old 10-20-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

my baby blue tang has 1 spot on one fin. the spot is quite large, similiar in size to a grain of coral sand, but not quite the same as the Coral Beauty. Could he have caught it that size in 1 day, or could it be a growth of some kind. Getting some sponges in there today so i can start another QT and treat all my fish possibly with Hyposalinity, will my fish tolerate that. They are
1 Baby Blue tang
2 Clarkii Clowns
1 Zebra Goby
1 Banana Wrasse
1 blue green/ chromis
and the new Coral Beauty and three spot damsel.(will they tolerate it after treatment with malachite green?)
Old 10-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, treat all fish and hypo is fine as long as you use a refractometer, a hydrometer won't cut it. Hypo will not hurt the fish at all, as long as you lower / raise sg slowly per the article below. Change most of the water in the tank with the malachite green, and run carbon in there. Also, let it go fallow 4-5 weeks while treating hypo in other tank. If you cannot get a refractometer, copper (cupramine) is the only other proven way to cure ICH. Remember the ICH in the main tank will not die off for 4-5 weeks, so even if copper cures them in 3 weeks, wait the extra 2 more or they risk getting it again. Let us know what you decide...

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...cupramine.html
Old 10-27-2004, 01:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

im using cupramine and leaving the main tank empty for 6 weeks ( a good excuse to add more corals)
Old 10-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

PS Malachite Green does not work on WHITESPOT
Old 10-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

my tank just broke out with ich for the first time. I have a quarintine tank but it is a small 5 gal. With having two tangs and a puffer it is not the route i want to take.
my question: is lowering the salinity a good way to go about treating my fish. I have a 90 gal tank
Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes hypo is the way to go with a puffer, what else is in your tank. Live rock? Inverts of any kind? Hypo can be rough on non fish creatures.
In a qt tank is the best way to go, but you would need a bigger tank.
Here is a good article on the treatment.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
Old 10-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

nasa tang, yellow tang, porcupine puffer, clown(which has the Ich) 2 yellow tailed damsel, 3 stripe.
7 Hermit crabs
1 choc. chip Star fish

Tags
spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com