Help! White spot on Chromis!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puddlepeep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I just got a new black and white chromis yesterday, brought it home and added it to the tank after proper acclimatization. After a few hours (around 11pm last night) I noticed some white spots on the fish fins. This morning when I turned on the lights I now see some spots around the body of the fish and around its eyes. I'm positive its white spot, so now I have a few questions....

1. Is it too late to take the chromis out and put it in a "hospital or qt tank"? (I have a spare for my breeding fire shrimp which I could take out and put back in the main tank to make the chromis better) Is this too little too late scenario, is the parasite in my water already because as far as I can read online the parasite doesn't actually come off to breed for between 3-10 days, so if I moved it into the smaller tank would I save the other fish...?

2. My options are limited as I have established coral in the main tank, along with snails, hermits, 2 black and white clowns and a blue cheek goby. Is there anything I can do to limit damage to these other tankmates?

My water parameters are all completely fine (I'm a bit anal about it as I adore my tank) :whistle:

I noticed when I brought him home after his acclimatization that he was breathing really fast, but they all did when I got them, so didn't really worry about this much. I have only been keeping marines for around seven months and this is my first outbreak of white spot, so I'm pretty worried.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Your chromis has ich, but this happen so early. Did it appear he same day you put your chromis? Are you sure your tank is fully cycled? What are your water levels? I am not convince that they are good or your chromis is in deep stress. Did you order it or bought it from your lfs? Did you use the right kind of water for a saltwater tank? I have 5 chromis with no problem. My blue tang came yesterday with white spots too because it was stressed but in a couple of days it was gone. Plz answer these questions.:thanks:

Edit

I also reccomand putting your chromis in there and wait till it dies or heals so he dosen't spread the ich. You can also return it to the place you got it for store credit if it came with white spots. Other then that just put him in the qt and wait a couple of weeks you could get lucky. DO NOT PUT ANY CHEMICALS SUCH AS AMMONIA REMOVER,ICH REMOVER ETC...

The water parameters are all good. The salt and r.o water are supplied by my local lfs, I got the fish from there as I have the rest. The only thing that happened to it was when it got introduced to the tank, the female clown chased it and has since it went in. I know this can cause stress, and perhaps this is what happened? I test my own water parameters and my lfs also does it bi-weekly for me just so I don't miss anything as I'm still relatively new to this hobby.

And yes, the ich appeared a few hours after I got it home and in the tank, it was fine in the lfs.
you got your answer the clownfish cause the chormis to get stressed witch made him have ich. but i still don`t know how he got it so early usally it happens in a couple of days. Are there any fish with ich in your aquarium? Also make sure to put him in the qt.:fish1:

No, no other fish in the tank have ich. Have put him in the qt tank, turned up the temp and added air, so hopefully with really frequent water changes and the fish there for about six weeks it'll be gone as the life cycle of the parasite should be over. Thanks for your help and advice. :)

Just putting the fish in QT will not cure it. You need to do copper or hypo. Raising the temp will not help either...I believe that is more of a freshwater trick.

I got the advice off another site for marine fish. Also, can't do chemicals as I have corals, snails, and hermits in the tank. It said the first parasites will be released after 3-10 days from the host fish to the tank. The heat is to try and break the life cycle at this and the next stage as the parasites can't live at this stage in this temp. Will wait and see, the chromis is in his own tank now and looks ok, so maybe he will come around and be fine. Thanks. :)

Hypo will kill my coral too. :( maybe I need to invest in another marine tank just for the corals.. ;) like I need to spend any more money on my addiction, I mean, hobby. :)

Hypo or copper would be in the QT, not your DT. Search hypo on this site and there are several threads that people have posted good articles on QT, hypo and copper treatments. I'm not sure how to copy/paste from my phone or I'd get those links for you.

First if your not that experienced don't try hypo you'll need a refractometer to do so, so I would go with the copper (cupramine). Second do not use either in your dt only in the qt tank. Turning up the heat will not do anything that is for freshwater ich.Keep an eye on your dt if the ich has fallen off before you got the fish out your whole tank will be infected.

Back
Top Bottom