Help with a new cucumber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ffmd212

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a clean up crew for my 62 gal FOWLR tank. Included in this was two sea cucumbers. They have been in my tank since tuesday, one seems to be fine but the other appears sickly. Just before I put it in the tank, while still in the shippinf bag, this expelled a large orange slime. Ever since it has been motionless, and pale looking. Is this creature getting ready to die or in shock? I have never had one of these so I am not sure but it sure does not look right. I have posted a couple pics.
Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 105_0062.jpg
    105_0062.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 105_0070.jpg
    105_0070.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 69
Keep a close eye on him as I`ve heard they can be quite toxic if they die. Maybe someone else can help.

I thought when I got home from work it was dead, I started to take it out and then it moved, so I am not sure what is going on

How did you acclimate? Did you drip acclimate? Leave them be for now since moving them will just stress them considerably, which is what they are. The body will rapidly decay, which you will notice within the first couple of days of dieing if that is the case.

How did you acclimate? Did you drip acclimate? Leave them be for now since moving them will just stress them considerably, which is what they are. The body will rapidly decay, which you will notice within the first couple of days of dieing if that is the case.
I used the float method, any idea what the orange substance was before taking out of the bag?

Off-hand, probably internal discharge. You must acclimate invertebrates to the proper salinity via some type of drip method or water additions into the bag. If you just floated the bag and added the cucumbers, they probably were in shock/stressed and especially if salinity or sometimes pH is off.

Off-hand, probably internal discharge. You must acclimate invertebrates to the proper salinity via some type of drip method or water additions into the bag. If you just floated the bag and added the cucumbers, they probably were in shock/stressed and especially if salinity or sometimes pH is off.
With the float I add water to the bag a little at a timetill full, then drain and add a little more at a time again. About an hour all together to get into the tank

Ok, well assuming the parameters matched in the end, probably the usual stress and internal discharge. In time and left alone hopefully will acclimatize to its surroundings :)

Ok today, that sickly looking cucumber has put out a web like substance that has spread all over the tank. It is all over everything and still coming out. I have lots of clean up to do, does anyone know what this is all about, and will it hurt my tank?

Back
Top Bottom