Help with adding new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JodiW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, it's about that time...I'm itching to add another fish. However, after adding our last fish, the powder brown/white-face tang, I read that this should be the last fish you add as they are so sensitive to changes in their environment. Nice. LFS didn't mention that part and I'm pretty sure they knew we weren't done with just 3 fish. :?

So...any advice on this? Is this really a problem or was somebody being over-cautious? Are we doomed or is there some technique we can use like re-arranging the tank contents or hypnotizing the tang and convincing him that new fishies are his friends? The tang's 'home' must stay where it is since it's the biggest thing in the tank, and therefore the centerpiece. But I could move the other items around. I'm thinking of getting some LR - would it help to add that at the same time as a new fish to really shake things up or would that be a bad idea as far as shocking the whole tank goes?

He gets along great with the clowns now, but of course they were there first. He is generally a very calm and somewhat timid fish. He hides from me if I move too quickly. I'd really appreciate any suggestions - types of fish that would be best bets for this situation and techniques to make this work. I must have more than 3 fish!!!

Also for the Iowa folks, I think we're going to check out Adam's in DM tomorrow. I haven't been there since they've been in the new location and I'm curious what they have now. More expensive than where we usually go, but maybe better quality, too? We shall see...maybe I'll get some good suggestions of things to look for from this thread. (hint, hint) :)

Jodi

I can speak from my experience with a powder blue tang which I believe is very similar in its characteristics with the powder brown. I made the same mistake that you did and actually added my PBT as the 2nd fish in my tank. It was a tremendous mistake. The fish bacame very aggressive when I added other fish. The PBT would circle any new fish arrival and ram into it with its sharp dorsal fin. The intense aggression would last for about 4 or 5 hours and then it would subside some but the PBT would still nip at the new arrivals if they got in his way. I think your best bet would be to move your tang into a qt tank for a day or two, then add your new fish and finally reintroduce the tang after. The tang would become disoriented from his change of surroundings and would not pick on any new arrivals. I guess this is a hobby where we al learn from our mistakes.

I would suggest moving a few rocks around to make the tang look for a new home, this has worked for me in the past or go the qt route. My only problem going the qt route is that tangs are easy stressers and become sick easily, some more than others but still a threat.

I agree with Thumper, they do get sick quickly if stressed which I have unfortunatley experienced :cry: So I agree that you should try moving aroud the rock work before you attempt to transfer the tang anywhere.

Yeah, and there's also the fact that I don't have a QT tank. I don't have the space or the $ to set up another tank right now. I'd need a full set up with light, filter, etc. on it, correct?

I'd also have to completely dismantle the tank to get him out of there. He would not surrender quietly and I think we'd both wind up so stressed out that we'd need therapy when all is said and done.

Did the tang do any actual damage to the new fish or just make it's life miserable for awhile?

Jodi

The tang did do some substantial damage to a yellow longnose butterfly I introduced. The butterfly was close in size to the tang, so the tang felt threatened by him. My PBT caused a big gash near the butterfly's fin. The dorsal fin on any tang is a very sharp instrument of destruction. Your tang may be less aggressive than mine though, so you can play it by ear. As soon as I dropped a new fish in the tank, my PBT would turn a very deep blue and was instantly in attack mode. He didn't bother the small fish I added to the tank, so you will be better off if the fish you add are significantly smaller than your tang.

Try adding the new fish in the dark to see if that helps also. The rock re-arranging when new arrivals come will also help. Just be sure to put no new, flat shaped fish in. Get a totally different body shape. Gobies, b/g chromis (3 of'm), blennies, firefish, etc may work.

Back
Top Bottom