Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help with Anthias - wound (still?)

Its been since 4/14 I've been worried about this guy. He started getting better last week, so I didn't treat. I tried several times to catch him (he'll jump right out of the water when you try to net him), and now he's spending most of his time hiding (from me - he comes out when I'm not in front of the tank).

His appetite has vanished - he was always eating well when this started, and for 2 weeks after, which is why I didnt' suspect it as being too serious.

But now, I'm worried.

Here's the original thread, when it started:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...401&highlight=

he started looking better, so I thought the problem was going away. But, the white injured-looking area has started getting worse again, dark spots (like scabs?) have formed on it. Photos below.

Specs: 75g. FOWLR. Water params all good - no ammonia, no nitrite, ph 8.2, s.g. 1.022, nitrates at/around 10.

If this still looks like uronema, I'll empty the tank of all the rocks and find some sort of large clear plastic container to catch him in. I have NOT found paraguard at a local pet store, I'll probably have to overnight something for mail order.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tried the two-net catch method? I'm really not dexterous, I don't stand a chance of catching my fish with one net. I have an oversized net, and a small one. I hold the large net still, and chase the fish into it with the small net. Much faster, and less chance of smushing someone against the side of the glass. If the two nets are similar size, you can cover the net the fish is in so he can't jump out during the transfer.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
steve-s

The affected area is advancing to the ulcerous stage, you won't be able to treat with the Paraguard for much longer. If you cannot get the fish out in the next day or so I would instead suggest you get something Nitrofurazone based, Furan 2 is usually easy to get. You will need to treat at a rate of 30 mg/gal as a one time dose left for 5 days.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does the condition he's in now indicate more or less any specific diagnosis?

Paraguard has been ordered next day, but I'm not sure if I got the order in fast enough for tomorrow delivery. I'll tear the tank apart to make room to catch him (he hides behind/under rocks anytime I come near).

I havent' seen Furan 2 either - I have a pretty good mental list of what's in stock at the local Petco, Petsmart, and the 2 non-chain stores, and its not much.

My QT tank is currently housing my snails, crabs, starfish, etc - is paraguard or anything Nitrofurazone based safe for those guys?

I feel bad that I didn't get him out sooner, but the area was honestly improving greatly for about a week, I thought he was finally healing, and was advised by the LPS not to medicate. Well, that advice was definately not helpful.

Thanks, steve-s.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
Does the condition he's in now indicate more or less any specific diagnosis?
Unfortunately without a microscope most problems will be best guess. In this particular case the way it has developed and without further symptoms/causes, I still think it's Uronema.

Quote:
My QT tank is currently housing my snails, crabs, starfish, etc - is paraguard or anything Nitrofurazone based safe for those guys?
No, they cannot be in there. Why are they in the QT and not the main display?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cause I was getting ready to treat with coppersafe - suggested by LPS.

I talked to SeaChem themselves about Paraguard - they recommend a longer bath/dip for higher concentration than treating a tank, in this case. Hoping the medication comes today, there's one other place that's open today that I'm going to check into.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
Cause I was getting ready to treat with coppersafe - suggested by LPS.
Never, never, never use a med in your main tank

Quote:
I talked to SeaChem themselves about Paraguard - they recommend a longer bath/dip for higher concentration than treating a tank, in this case. Hoping the medication comes today, there's one other place that's open today that I'm going to check into.
I would actually not agree with their recommendation. Since there is some indication a sore if in the beginning stages, a high concentration of an aldehyde could severely irritate it and make it woprse. A lower prolonged dose would be much easier on the fish.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anthias, wound

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com