Help with aquascaping....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm gonna pick up my LR this weekend. I was wondering how some of you made beatiful caves with the rock placement. I'm assuming you glued/drilled the rocks together. How do I go about doing this? Any suggestions on what looks nice or is most beneficial for the tank? I have a 90 gal tank, getting about 150 lbs of fiji rock and some base rock. TIA!

Have fun! I have a 90G as well, and getting the aquascaping done was no picnic in there. I built kind of like a pyramid style in the middle of the tank. This way, I can get to the back wall to clean if need be.
150lbs. of LR and additional base rock? Wow! Shoot some pics over when you're done scaping it. :)

Mike

grab a whole ton of super glue gel and if you can get your hands on it marine epoxy, both can be used to stick rocks together. you should have lots of areas where fish can get away from eachother, the more caves and hideyholes the better and happier you fish will be.

I used no type of glue in my tanks... Just took my time moving the pieces around till they fit snug. Just make sure if you have sand in the tank already you wiggle the base rocks down in the sand so they touch the glass. You need a good foundation to start.
Good luck..... Send some picks when done.

I wouldn`t glue anything, just makes things more difficult in the long run.

Make sure your base rocks are secure on the bottom of the tank. animals burrowing will cause it to shift and you dont want a rock slide! then carefully stack rocks on top of one another. caves will be easy to create this way.

have fun! and post some pics when your done! :)

120Gal, 160lbs of LR. I didn't use any kind of adhesive, the rocks are just fitted together. While the tank cycled, about a month, I made small changes to get it the way I liked.

TANK.JPG

If you have some type of broadband, this link has pics from about a week into the cycle until now.

http://cs3.sunyocc.edu/~rassenhe/Daily/tank.html

You may wanna change the setup someday soon. Some have had to re-arrange rock to accomodate a new fish when a current inhabitant is bullying. Many to catch a sick fish. Some just to get a different look to their landscape when adding corals later.

I too would recommend against the glue for LR. IMO, it's also OK to lean rock securely against the back wall for stability with your aquascape. Just not against the sides or front, of course. And like rocketseason said, be sure the rock is firmly planted on the bottom below the sand.

Don't glue them up. You never know what the future has in store for you. There are so many variables and changes that happen. You will most likely have to break it down again.

Fish die and get stuck. I have heard of Tangs getting lodged into cracks.

I would agree..I wouldn't glue them either. When you glue several lbs. of LR together, it will be a challenge to get them out of the tank if, and when you do - Especially with a center brace.

Mike

i woundn't suggest gluing either. Just play with them (and be patient) til they fit together and are stable. A poor pic of mine. I wanted lots of holes for them to swim through.

img_268605_0_89f796e4a5ec58c78a3bdeb3bf8ef7ab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom