Help with brains... PICS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got two open brains here I think.. the thing is... .the lower one is usually REALLy fleshy and has feeding tentacles at night... and the other rarely inflates.... is this because they're supposed to or because the top one isn't healthy ???

Ok swap the comments....... the upper is usually really fleshy with tentacles... and the lower never really inflates...........

I've also been noticing, it seems like the brown on the lower one is getting less and less and the white is spreading.... not sure though...

Sounds like the lower one is bleeching out. Not a good sign. What color was it when you got it?

I did a little more research on the Trachyphyllia genus. You can try moving it down to the substrate as they are natually found in muddy lagoons and in sand beds. They are prone to "white band disease" which is basically necrosis of the tissue casuing the skeleton to be seen. They need to be placed in an area of moderate flow and need the occassional "dusting" to clear sand and detritus from it's folds. Once bleaching has begun, the coral is most likey doomed. It seems they have a hit-or-miss survival rating in captivity and no one is sure why. Some do great while others fail to survive. It is thought that they do not handle stress well. The cummulative effect of collection, shipping, and constant changes in water chemistr from tank to tank is thought to be too hard on my specimens. You can try target feeding a vitamin soaked meaty food after lights out to see if that helps. Good luck...Lando

Thanks for the help Lando.... I thinkit might have "white band disease" I can't see the skeleton yet but it is loosing pigment in the red areas.... I've moved it to the sand.... we'll see.....

Back
Top Bottom