Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help with brains... PICS

I've got two open brains here I think.. the thing is... .the lower one is usually REALLy fleshy and has feeding tentacles at night... and the other rarely inflates.... is this because they're supposed to or because the top one isn't healthy ???

Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok swap the comments....... the upper is usually really fleshy with tentacles... and the lower never really inflates...........

I've also been noticing, it seems like the brown on the lower one is getting less and less and the white is spreading.... not sure though...

Old 01-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

bump.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like the lower one is bleeching out. Not a good sign. What color was it when you got it?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did a little more research on the Trachyphyllia genus. You can try moving it down to the substrate as they are natually found in muddy lagoons and in sand beds. They are prone to "white band disease" which is basically necrosis of the tissue casuing the skeleton to be seen. They need to be placed in an area of moderate flow and need the occassional "dusting" to clear sand and detritus from it's folds. Once bleaching has begun, the coral is most likey doomed. It seems they have a hit-or-miss survival rating in captivity and no one is sure why. Some do great while others fail to survive. It is thought that they do not handle stress well. The cummulative effect of collection, shipping, and constant changes in water chemistr from tank to tank is thought to be too hard on my specimens. You can try target feeding a vitamin soaked meaty food after lights out to see if that helps. Good luck...Lando
Old 01-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the help Lando.... I thinkit might have "white band disease" I can't see the skeleton yet but it is loosing pigment in the red areas.... I've moved it to the sand.... we'll see.....
Old 01-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck and keep us posted...Lando

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com