Help with clam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Crocea Clam recently started showing this gap between its flesh and shell. Anyone able to help id what this means or if it normal behavior? Thanks for reading and commenting.

Attachments

• image-54192568.jpg
    image-54192568.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 62
I`ve never had one of those but my squamosa and other clams never did that. Hopefully he is OK.

Hmm. The mantle on one side is pulled aside from its shell & it has only been doing this a couple days but it has been getting to be a bigger gap. Hoping someone on AA can help with what this means.

Well, while reading heavily before purchasing my own clam I came upon an article that described this. The reason for the mantle pulling away like that is usually insufficient lighting. It is called gaping and is usually a sign of what is a spiraling death.

What kind of lighting is above your tank?

Reactions: HN1
Thanks for the input and the link. Great article but sobering. I run AI Sol Blue LED lights and have them at over 90% strength so I thought I had enough light. If lighting is the issue it's probably due to fact I have the clam on the substrate and not higher. I will move it up but after reading that article I fear it's too late. :(

The Sol is easily enough light. If it makes you feel any better, I'm worried about my clam too. It just isn't throwing that mantle out like it was. I turned its rock around and it turned itself around so it could filter feed... just hopeful. I hope it isn't too late for yours.

Well I moved it up higher and it looks worse lol. I do notice though after moving it that it does have new shell (the white tip) mentioned in that article as a sign of growth, so now I wonder if it could be viral, bacterial, or parasitic. I do have another Crocea also and it looks fine but apparently that's how it goes until it's too late. The other Crocea I have had only couple months though and I think I will move it up higher soon as I make a better spot for it. Thanks again for the help & support. Hope your clam does well also.

Back
Top Bottom