Help with Clown Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had a single Percula Clown for about 7 months now. He started out in a 30 gal tank where he spent 4 months and was eating and acting normal. While I had him in this tank I was preparing a 110gallon aquarium that I plan on turning into a reef system. I setup the 110 gallon with a DIY overflow and trickle tower. I made sure to cure all silicone and pvc cements. I also did extensive reading on the proper plastics for use in saltwater aquarium. I also have an aqua clear 110 I've been running on this system sense day 1 of the cycle. I let this tank cycle for about a month and a half with live sand and am confident that the tank cycled and my diatoms were declining before adding him to the tank. My clown was doing very well until about 2 weeks ago in this new system. It was at that time I decided to try and pair my clownfish with a smaller percula. I went to the pet store and found a juvenile and brought it home. To acclimate him I floated the bag for a half hour. then drip acclimated him to my tank. At first the new fish stayed on the other side of the tank in one spot but then the two found each other and they became inseparable. They began feeding together and sleeping next to each other and I thought I was lucky enough to have an easy pairing. I tend to watch my fish tank closely when I'm home and I never noticed any aggression. Then one morning I woke up and found the smaller clown being thrown all around the tank by the current until resting on the bottom and dying! I quickly tried to help but it was too late and he died within minutes of me noticing. I took him out of the tank and inspected him but didn't see much more then a nip taken out of one of his fins. I didn't notice any color loss or spots. Because I hadn't had him for very long I took him back to the pet store and they gave me another and I went through the whole routine again. this time the clown I got was much bigger as they just pulled the healthiest/biggest looking clown and gave it to me without really talking with me about it at all. I wasn't really happy about this but I took him as a free replacement. Again at first he was doing well. But this fish died last night. I feel terrible and I don't want to lose anymore fish. Again I didn't notice any spots and this time I didn't see any wounds. The one thing that worries me is that he was stiff as a board in and out of the aquarium. I came downstairs at 3am to check on the fish and found him laying in the sand all fins extended. Just yesterday I noticed that he was swimming with his fins clamped and in one place slanted downward.

Now today I noticed my oldest clown has markings on him and he won't close his mouth. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430305087.120701.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430305112.638864.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430305136.871986.jpgI've been up all night after 2 hours of sleep so I apologize if this is all hard to read. I'm trying my best to not hurt these fish and I really enjoy this hobby. if anyone can help me is greatly appreciate it.

I feed flakes.
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates showing 0 on my saltwater test kit. PH 8.0.
Specific Gravity 1.025 with refractometer.
Temp 78 degrees.

Probably a wound from the fight. Clowns are damsels, they are aggressive and one being smaller than the other isn't a guarantee that they will be able to pair up.

Definitely but I heard it helps if one is. Especially if the first one has already been in the tank. It sounds terrible but I almost hope it was from a fight and that he will recover. But I definitely didn't want any of this to happen to any of the fish. I tried to monitor the behavior over the days I had the fish and I really didn't notice any aggression. I know it's totally possible for something to happen very quickly but it's safe to say I wont be adding anymore fish for quite some time. I am really crossing my fingers it wasn't due to a parasite of some kind. The 2 new clowns came from the same tank and I've been told before they tend to lose fish regularly. Actually when I bought the clown that's still alive now the pet store employee said to me "This is the first time we got some and they didn't die". I hope he holds out. Does anyone think it's a parasite or anything? I'm having trouble getting him to eat now and he's not swimming up to me when I stand at the tank like normal.

Sounds like you are in need to find a new LFS for starters. The fact that he isn't eating isn't a good sign either. I don't think a parasite would be causing issues so quickly and simply think this is the result of a fight between the two.
How much live rock is in the system? I only see a ceramic jug, and if there isn't enough live rock to hide from one another in this could have easily set up the stage for a fight between two clowns that might have been able to pair up.

I have zero live rock right now. I bought 50lbs of dry rock but it's curing and is only about 6 days into the process. This is something I wish I would have started much sooner. I tested the water in my curing tank yesterday and just started picking up ammonia.

Unfortunately that's the only saltwater fish store nearby. The next one is about 45 min away and it seems to be hit or miss with quality as well. I'd order online but it makes me nervous. I like to observe the fish before I buy them as I'm sure everyone would. The same LFS I got my clowns from tried to sell me an anemone when I brought back the first fish and I almost fell for it.

Any ideas as to how I may be able to get this guy to eat? Or how long he can go without eating?

So just an update on my Clownfish the white spot above his eye in the pictures I posted have seemed to have gotten worse and are now also over his other eye.They also seem to be fuzzy I guess and protruding from his body. He's also got stringy white poop when he goes. When my phone charges I'll take and post pictures.

So a fungus along with internal parasites. You'll need to treat in a QT. I'm far from an expert on both issues, but they would both require separate treatments that you could do at the same time once you get the fish into a bare tank.

Right after I posted the last message I frantically assembled a 10 gallon tank, heater, air pump and began making RO/DI water. I again wish that I had water ready but I have no place to store extra water in my apt. I'll be up all night trying to set up this QT but I'm going to give it my best. I refuse to lose this fish. I just hope he can hold out. I was going to do a QT with normal specific gravity and do a hypo dip? He's losing color so I fear it's close right now.

Ok. Do you have any suggestions?
Formalin? Garlic? I really haven't up to this point researched medications so I am not sure where to start.

Thank you all for your guidance.

Ok so we made it through the night. I did end up doing a freshwater dip for 2:45 minutes. I felt my fish handled it very well aside from one attempt to jump out of the bucket. I made sure the temp was ok and that the water was agitated and to not let him rest on the bottom on the bucket the whole time. I noticed a ton of fall off of the white fuzzy stuff and felt that almost 3 minutes was probably all that I myself could take. And sense he's already sick I know he didn't need this extra stress. He's now in a QT tank and looking pretty good in terms of fins being extended and no terrible looking white gunk on him. He looks like he's also regaining a little control over his mouth. The biggest change is definitely in his facial color returning to normal. Once the LFS opens I'll be heading there for meds.

Well I'm not seeing any new growths. And the ones he's had have gone away. but now he's staying mostly belly on the bottom of the tank. I still cannot get him to eat...I figured I'd try live brine shrimp just to see if he'd go for something that moved. unfortunately I had to go to work so I couldn't watch him for very long

And his face is still not looking good in terms of color. his face looks white

Back
Top Bottom