Help with clown that got sucked into pump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 2 clowns live in my sump, and we're doing awesome. I noticed my return drains making a ton of noise, and then noticed that they were sucking a ton of air, because barely any water was being pumped in the tank! One of the clowns swam over and got sucked in. They have swam over before, and been fine. Now, he is still alive, and seems to be able to maneuver a little. But, his tail is bent almost completely sideways, and he has a small cut (not too worried) on his side. Is there anything I can do to fix his tail?? Please help! Also when I took him out of the pump he wasn't completely in the net and fell about 1' onto the floor :( I feel really bad for this guy. Anything please!?!?!?

He should be fine his tail will heal itself. Just be careful about the cut it could get infected. Why were the clowns in your sump anyways?

He passed....... I think the pump snapped his spinal cord in back. I had a 20 gallon and it was yucky and my water in my 150 is 100x better and the refugium in my sump has the same dimensions as the 20. They seemed to like the sump more also.

Oh I'm sorry about your clown. Makes me so sad when they go belly-up. Why didn't you just put the clowns in the 150 though? It would've been a lot safer for them.

8" grouper 1.5' eel. All I'm gonna say. Lol. I would love to put my other one in. I have a ritteri anemone in there that he would probably love. Do you think he'll be ok? She's about 3".

8" grouper 1.5' eel. All I'm gonna say. Lol. I would love to put my other one in. I have a ritteri anemone in there that he would probably love. Do you think he'll be ok? She's about 3".

Oh yeah that would be a problem. You could try it but it could end badly. The anemone might help though. Not too sure about it but if you want to take a risk then you could go for it. Or you could just get another 20g tank for him, with a new clownfish to be friends with. You could have some nice anemones in there and everything. It'd be a lot safer and nicer then keeping him in a sump.

Ya I can't set up a new tank :/. I would be so scared to risk puttin him in the tank. I know he would be a lot happier though. It's scary! What would you do.... Sump or tank?

Well you already lost one clown to the sump it'd be really risky to for both places. Setting up another tank would be the best option or give him to a friend until you can figure something out.

Or if you want to keep them down there rig up a mesh extension up off the baffle to prevent them from moving over.

I would definitely prefer to put them into the dt. I really just don't know what's best....... I mean I know I could feed the grouper and eel and make them really full...... But not consistently. What would you do?

Tough decision here. The grouper and the eel could be a really major problem. Do you have a lot of hiding places in your tank? Having hiding places will help the clown stay uneaten. It'll be a risk but if you think the clown will be safe you could try.

I have like 160 pounds of rock....... And a nem....... I would feel really bad if he got eaten..... But he would be so much happier.......

Someone might disagree with me but I'd say it's worth a shot. Just put him in the tank at the opposite side of where the grouper and the eel are (try to block them off with a divider for a few hours so the clown can get familiar with everything if you can). Make sure there are plenty of hiding places and the anemone could help too. It'll be a risk but I'd say go for it. Do you have any other small fish in there that the grouper and eel have left alone?

I have a 3.5" trigger....... I had a cleaner wrasse that my grouper and eel left alone but my lobster killed it (lobster has died....... Kinda happy lol). This is so scary!!!! I can't divide the tank....... Do you think it would be better to add with moonlights on? Any other opinions?

I think the best option would be to put the clown in the tank and hope for the best. He'll be really happy in there, especially if we get lucky and the grouper and eel leave him alone. If the trigger and the clown are only .5 inches apart then it's definitely worth a shot. I don't know too much about triggers so it could be for other reasons but I think you should try it. It's your choice but if it were me I think I'd do it.

The clown is more like 2.5"...... And the trigger actually 4.5.... I always think he's still a baby. He's grown a lot in the past few months. I really don't know what to do............not that I don't respect your opinion.... But anyone out there with another opinion? Experience with this situation.

Hopefully someone will give us their input. I think it's good that you're very hesitant. You must care about your fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom