Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help with clown that got sucked into pump!

My 2 clowns live in my sump, and we're doing awesome. I noticed my return drains making a ton of noise, and then noticed that they were sucking a ton of air, because barely any water was being pumped in the tank! One of the clowns swam over and got sucked in. They have swam over before, and been fine. Now, he is still alive, and seems to be able to maneuver a little. But, his tail is bent almost completely sideways, and he has a small cut (not too worried) on his side. Is there anything I can do to fix his tail?? Please help! Also when I took him out of the pump he wasn't completely in the net and fell about 1' onto the floor I feel really bad for this guy. Anything please!?!?!?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #2

He should be fine his tail will heal itself. Just be careful about the cut it could get infected. Why were the clowns in your sump anyways?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

He passed....... I think the pump snapped his spinal cord in back. I had a 20 gallon and it was yucky and my water in my 150 is 100x better and the refugium in my sump has the same dimensions as the 20. They seemed to like the sump more also.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #4

Oh I'm sorry about your clown. Makes me so sad when they go belly-up. Why didn't you just put the clowns in the 150 though? It would've been a lot safer for them.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

8" grouper 1.5' eel. All I'm gonna say. Lol. I would love to put my other one in. I have a ritteri anemone in there that he would probably love. Do you think he'll be ok? She's about 3".
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
8" grouper 1.5' eel. All I'm gonna say. Lol. I would love to put my other one in. I have a ritteri anemone in there that he would probably love. Do you think he'll be ok? She's about 3".
Oh yeah that would be a problem. You could try it but it could end badly. The anemone might help though. Not too sure about it but if you want to take a risk then you could go for it. Or you could just get another 20g tank for him, with a new clownfish to be friends with. You could have some nice anemones in there and everything. It'd be a lot safer and nicer then keeping him in a sump.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I can't set up a new tank :/. I would be so scared to risk puttin him in the tank. I know he would be a lot happier though. It's scary! What would you do.... Sump or tank?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #8

Well you already lost one clown to the sump it'd be really risky to for both places. Setting up another tank would be the best option or give him to a friend until you can figure something out.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Or if you want to keep them down there rig up a mesh extension up off the baffle to prevent them from moving over.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would definitely prefer to put them into the dt. I really just don't know what's best....... I mean I know I could feed the grouper and eel and make them really full...... But not consistently. What would you do?

Tags
clown, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sick coral | TorN »