Help with Colony Polyps!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a LR covered with colony polyps! A couple days ago, after I did a water change, the polyps stopped opening. They are all closed up and today I found a few have detached from the LR.

I have no idea what is happening as all my other corals are fine. My water quality is fine with PO4=0, NO2=0, NO3=20, CA=400, KH=10, MG=1130 and Ph=8.1. Is there anything else I should look for?

Did this increase, decrease, change at all during the water-change?

I haven't seen anything kill this stuff faster than abrupt changes in specific gravity.

Sounds like you've lost her. However, there's a chance it will "regrow", for lack of a better word. Just keep your light up. Its strange tho, you have pretty much exactly the same water stats I'm sitting on...

The salinity has been pretty much constant over many months. The funny thing is, there is nothing wrong with my other polyps and soft corals.

Here is a picture of the polyps. As you can see they are all closed up and some are coming off. However, I am not sure if they are coming off naturally. I have spotted my yellow tang pecking the closed polyps. So it might be coming off because of his behavior which is not normal for him.

Attachments

• p5230950_resize.jpg
    p5230950_resize.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 58
How much of a water change and was it aged salt water. Sometimes fresh made salt water has a caustic effect when you don`t age it. Just an idea. Good Luck

This started happening before I changed water. I always use aged salt water.

I had this happen with a salinity change problem but all came through. It lasted almost a month though. You did not change salt recently did you?

Otherwise just watch them and ride it out. You might check the tank and make sure nothing is pestering them.

HTH

I had a yellow tang that went back to the LFS cuz it was eating my polyps. As soon as it went back, they were fine again. i know it seems unlikely but is not completely impossible. I also have a friend that had a yellow tang that would eat certain types of her polyps and her gorgonians too 8O .

Back
Top Bottom