Help with corals plz!! Have pics....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone this is the place to ask advice so here i am! I recieved some corals for my 75 gallon tank. Im wondering on experience with these corals; placement, care of, etc.. My devils hand seems to be a reddish in color and like its falling over dead heres a list and some pics of my tank:
1. Devils hand Leather
2. Green Button star polyps
3. Carpet Anenome Mushroom
4. Tonga polyp rock
5. Bubble corals
6. Watermelon Mushrooms
7. Red Mushrooms
8. Candy Cane

More pics:

I cant figure out what is wrong with my devils hand....need HELP plz! In the second pic its showing what i mean by "falling" over dead?? Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Except for the devils hand and the candy cane, I believe the rest of your list is low-moderate flow locations with moderate lighting. Mushrooms do well in low flow areas and are tolerant of low light depending on coloration.

As to the devils hand, leather corals will close up from time to time and shed an outer layer of mucous, kind of a way to rid itself of any crap that has accumulated on it. Soft corals will also retract from time to time. If it is only closing up for short periods of time and then reopening then I wouldn't worry. If it isn't re-expanding then you may have placement or water quality issues. Is it in a high flow area of the tank?

Whats considered a short period of time? It does look like the devil hand is shedding some mucus how long does this usually take and why would it be reddish color?

When my softies shed they may stay closed up for a few days to a week. Did the coral change color? Or has it been reddish brown since you got it? From the pics it looks pretty normal to me. If it changed color it may be adapting to the different lighting in your tank.

Its not that im worried too much about the color well a little, but the fact it looks like its falling over and dying....Why would it do this? (best shown in the second picture)

How long have the new corals been in the tank? It may just be adjusting to the new tank and getting over the stress of moving. Post some water test results, could be something out of wack there.

All the results are fine i dont know what it would be....it has some weird stuff it looks like on it check out pic #2 that i posted. Down at the bottom of the stem looks almost like whittish stuff maybe be rock but i dont think so possible bacteria infection???? It looks like it maybe shrinking up also it seems to be getting smaller i have a high flow on it and its at the very top of my light to make sure it gets enough what you think?

Garrett,

My devils hand goes limp sometimes and "Falls" over like its dead but then just comes back again later. It might just be a natural thing for your devils hand. What does it do when the lights go off???

Josh dude,

You dont have a devils hand when did you get one. A grow light wont support a devils hand.

mine does the same thingfro night to day. when the lights are on it kind of wilts, but when hey are turned off it perks up a little. i dont know why it does, but all seems healthy and its been doing this for a little while now. im waiting for it to straighten up, but it doesnt seem to want to.

Back
Top Bottom