Help with Diagnoses/treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
I dont want this to turn ugly like some other posts, but if it does I will respond in kind. Fair warning issued.

3 days ago I purchased a yellow tang from the LFS. 4 were in the tank there, I examined the remaining 3 today and all still look fine. Mine does not.

The night I purchased it I brought it home and placed it in the QT tank. I am new to sw but I had to set one up last week because of a stressed damsel I was losing. The tang looked fine that night, but had a "rough" appearance, instead of a smooth look. The next morning its covered with white "pimples". I immediately prepared a FW bath and dipped it for 3 minutes. Some of the spots went away. Today I can see very few on it. The damsel is in hiding, cant examine it.

I have read a ton of posts and articles on ich, its diagnoses/misdiagnoses, and treatment. I read Terry Bs articles, as well as martin moes in the Marine aquarium handbook and all I could find on this and other sites. I am proceeding as follows, please give me some feedback on my actions.

THe salinity in the qt tank is being lowered, temp raised slowly. I added 7 drops (10 gall tank) Quick-Cure, which is formalin and Malachite Green. The label says add 1 drop per gallon, I am playing it safe. I will observe the fish for signs of stress and change 5 gal if noticed. I also purchased some Organi-Cure (copper and formaldehyde) I plan on using that after the first week of Quick cure treatment (and complete water change) to finish eradicating the Ich.

First of all, does ICH appear so suddenly? Seems really fast to me. Is my diagnoses correct or could it be something else?

Second, why are the fish at the LFS unaffected, while mine showed signs so quickly?

Lastly, is my line of treatment ok?

I am new to fish illness, never had any other problems, so I hope Im not over reacting.

alarmguy66 said:
THe salinity in the qt tank is being lowered, temp raised slowly. I added 7 drops (10 gall tank) Quick-Cure, which is formalin and Malachite Green. The label says add 1 drop per gallon, I am playing it safe. I will observe the fish for signs of stress and change 5 gal if noticed. I also purchased some Organi-Cure (copper and formaldehyde) I plan on using that after the first week of Quick cure treatment (and complete water change) to finish eradicating the Ich.
I would just opt for the lowered salinity or <<hyposalinity>>. Bringing it down to 14 ppt will prevent the parasite from multiplying and therfore eradicate it. If done properly, the other things you have mentioned are not needed or advised. The only additional treatment that may needed is in the event of secondary infection in which a gram negative antibiotic could be used. Raising the temp will increase the speed in which the parasite reproduces, it does not do anything as far as inhibiting the reproduction or killing it. C. irritans optimal reproductive temp is actually 86°. Raising the temp also increases the ph in the fish's blood which can/will lower it's immune response.

First of all, does ICH appear so suddenly? Seems really fast to me. Is my diagnoses correct or could it be something else?
It could be something else but it does sound like ich. The manifestation of the "spots" can take a few days before they are noticeable so it is more than likely the fish had it at the LFS.

Second, why are the fish at the LFS unaffected, while mine showed signs so quickly?
Many LFS run their fish tanks with copper in them. Not always at a high enough level to be an effective cure but generally high enough to slow down the growth rate of a full blown infestation. Seeing a fish at the LFS seemingly healthy, is not in itself a sure bet. Thankfully you use a proper QT .

Lastly, is my line of treatment ok?
As mentioned above, I would just use the hyposalinity treatment and nothing else.

Cheers
Steve

I dont want this to turn ugly like some other posts, but if it does I will respond in kind. Fair warning issued.

This is not usually a problem on this site ;) But FYI, fair warning was issued to all when you signed up and agreed to the User Agreement.

User Agreement said:
You agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind

Ugliness is not allowed and will not be tolerated. FWIW, I see no reason for anyone to flame over your post. You QT'd the fish, you noticed a problem and are doing what you can to fix it. IMO, you have been responsible to your old fish and your new fish :D

Well I didnt see reason in a different post on the same subject, but it went on for 3 pages and turned into a battle of who knew what, who didnt and whose "evidence" we were supposed to believe. Just wanted to state outright this post wasnt going that way.

Back
Top Bottom