Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

help with emerald crabs please

I have a 55gallon tank that we have been running for approximately two months. I had a problem with the damsels that i was using to condition the tank and they all started getting sick and dying. I had one left and when it started to get sick (red around the mouth and fins and breathing really fast and bloating) we treated the tank with fungus remover. The next day one of my emerald crabs (we have two) started losing its legs. They are just falling off. It is down to one now but is still alive eating and 'moving' around the tank. I dont know what is going on or if its bad or what. Does anyone have any advice. My other emerald and my two hermits crabs are absolutely fine as far as i can tell.

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Although I don't really know why your emeralds legs are falling off, the problem you described with the damsels doesn't sound fungal in origin. My guess is that it's a bacterial infection of some sort.
What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, alkalinity, pH? The sick fish and the problem with the crab, since this is a new tank, may be related to the water quality. Are you using RO/DI water in the tank or tap water?
Welcome to AA.com!

Old 11-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: help with emerald crabs please

Quote:
Originally Posted by newline3
I had one left and when it started to get sick (red around the mouth and fins and breathing really fast and bloating) we treated the tank with fungus remover.
I agree with loganj about the bacterial infection but I was curious what the exact product used was

Cheers
Steve

Tags
crab, crabs, emerald, emerald crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com