Help with Firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E Angel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been running for a month now. I bought two red firefish and a week later I bought a bullet goby to help with the algae. A week after I bought the goby one of the red firefish quite eating. I tried mysis shrimp, live brine and flake food. On Sunday he died... Now, the other firefish is demonstrating the exact same behavior. He quite eating and is hiding in the same corner as the other fish did. There are no visible signs of any bacteria or diseas and my water parameters are fine. Does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong with my fish? I don't want him to die.

On another note, I just went and bought a 10 gallon tank with a filter to use for a quarantine tank. Should I put the fish in the 10 gallon and quarantine him for awhile to see if he will eat or will that stress him out more?

Any help would be great.

My tank has been running for a month now. I bought two red firefish and a week later I bought a bullet goby to help with the algae. A week after I bought the goby one of the red firefish quite eating. I tried mysis shrimp, live brine and flake food. On Sunday he died... Now, the other firefish is demonstrating the exact same behavior. He quite eating and is hiding in the same corner as the other fish did. There are no visible signs of any bacteria or diseas and my water parameters are fine. Does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong with my fish? I don't want him to die.

On another note, I just went and bought a 10 gallon tank with a filter to use for a quarantine tank. Should I put the fish in the 10 gallon and quarantine him for awhile to see if he will eat or will that stress him out more?

Any help would be great. (I also posted this in the fish only section)

my water parameters are fine
Can you post all parameters...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SG, Ph, temp?
Should I put the fish in the 10 gallon and quarantine him for awhile to see if he will eat or will that stress him out more?
If you do not see any visable signs of infestation, infection or injury, I would leave it alone and see what happens.

Firefish are a rather delicate and nervous fish species. They can often react quite adversely to new additions even if there is no aggression. Dartfish as a whole can react quite commonly by hiding, loss of appetite and death. Could simpley be the addition of the goby has "upset" their normal routine. Being your tank is also quite new, the quick addition of so many fish could have easily upset your biofilter. Can you post the exact numbers for your water parameters?

Do you know the species name of the goby or post a pic? Many types of "bar" Amblygobius are refered to as bullets. It may not make much diference, but you never know.

If anything, I would QT the goby as apposed to the firefish. It will help determine if that is indeed the cause, although you would need to be very sure not to disrupt the tank further. Increasing a stressful situation could send the firefish beyond the point of recovery. FWIW, it would have been the better route from to get go. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom