Help with fox :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i have a question about my foxface. He is in a tank with an agressive engineer goby and his back fin is pretty badly nipped! This happened a while ago and it still hasent healed up :/ i feel bad for the poor guy, but my water is very clean so i dont know why it is healing.

My marine betta gets nipped fins too, but they always heal in a few days.... Can anyone help me here?

Is it just a regular nipped fin or does it look like something else is going on ? Either way increased water change schedule will promote faster healing ime .

Just a thought that the spines need to,grow before the fin on the back of th fox face. Are the spikes damamged or jus the fin part?

I have a tang that took a long time to heal a nipped fin. If he has any stress, it could delay healing.

Justin0329 said:
Is there any chance that the goby is preventing it from healing? Maybe its still nipping at its "new" fins.

Ya that might be it! I dont know how to stop it from happening.... All i can do is make sure the goby is fat and full so he isnt tempted. :/ hes so big though and very unique so i definitly cant get rid of him!

Is there any chance you can remove the fox from the mix? Not to say get rid of it but to move it to quarantine or to the sump til it heals. I found myself in the same position with my fox. I transferred it to the sump (45gal sump), let it heal and when I returned it to the dt, it wasn't picked on at all. I don't know if I just got lucky or not, but it worked.

I agree with Justin. I treated the tang for some sort of fin issue ( not related to the nip), but the nip healed at the same time and and when I re-introduced it was better. Think it took 3 weeks or so. You could treat with some Melafix too, as it may help the fin heal faster. It's worth a try if you can get the fox out, mine old be difficult as I don't find they beg like some of our other fish. However getting the tang out was a bit of a pain too...

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom