Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
No its a different med, I guess that "quick cure" that you mentioned earlier happens to have formalin in it. I have never used it so I didn't know.
But that is good new.
When I first got one of my Heni's, he had a case of Brooklynella. What I did was a SW bath with the formalin. 4-5 treatments and he was cured. A SW bath with the quick cure might be easier on him. You can leave him in the bath longer with SW (I think the treatment called for 30 min) and as long as you have an airstone in the container it was less stressful than a FW dip.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock3000
Is Malachite Green just Formaldehyde then?
Nope, just the quick cure is primarily formaldehyde.

Quote:
UPDATE: Ok, I see that is it both Formaldehyde and Malachite Green.
Correct.
99% Formaldehyde and less than 1% Malachite green

Quote:
Any comments on if I should do a 30 minute saltwater dip compared to a 7 minute freshwater dip?
Don't do a FW dip, just do the 30 min SW formalin treatment. Be very very sure you watch the temp (not to go above 80°) and heavily aerate during the treatment using an airstone.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got the fish in a SW dip now with .25mL of Quick Cure, which has the same Formaldehyde content at .6mL of Formalin. I am using a 1g container with an air stone on full, water is about 78F. Been about 10 minutes, fish is still swimming around fine in its container. I have the rinse container ready in case anything goes wrong. Back to check on the fish...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, sound good so far.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish has been in there 30 minutes now, still wiggling light a Clownfish, not swimming around much, he is just hovering on the side of the container opposite the wall of bubbles coming out of the airstone. Gonna try to go for 45 minutes, maybe 60 if is holds up...

Update, been 45 minutes, fish doing great. Going for 60, then pulling the plug.

//Update: Made it 60 minutes in the dip, then rinsed off the fish and put it back in the tank. Fish is swimming around normal. No word on the condition of the bumps on the fish, I do not want to turn on the light until the morning.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 01-08-2005, 02:12 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found my QT tank and it had a bunch of junk stacked in it (like candles) so I decided to never use that for fish again. Gotta get another 10g...

Anyway, I feel like such a crappy fish keeper right now! The Clownfish was mostly better after the first dip and only had a couple spots left that were not going away. Tonight, I snuck up on him, and repeated the procedure same as before to see if I can get the last couple spots with another dip. I used tank water, the correct ammount of Formalin (measured in a medical syringe), temp matched the water, airstone running the whole time... Only problem is that this time, when I returned the Clown to the tank, it was simming all wobbly like it was dizzy. That was about 15 minutes ago when I put it back in the tank, the Clown might be a tiny bit better now, but it is still not normal. Maybe the second treatment was too long, but the fish looked OK the entire time. I hope the fish is better in the morning, I feel like I am going to puke right now because I may have hurt my fish

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 01-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

You time might be a little long. When I treated my heni, I kept him in the SW bath for about 30 Min and repeated every other day for 4 treatments.
Stupid question , but you are using SW for the bath right?
[/quote]
Anyway, I feel like such a crappy fish keeper right now
[/quote]
No way man!! You are doing everything you can.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I used SW right out of the tank, mixed in the Formalin, stuck the air stone in the water for a few minutes, then added the fish and started the timer. If I have to do this again, I will stick with 30 minutes. The fish did look OK for the 60 minutes, but once it went into the tank it was obviously being affected by something. It is hard to judge the fish until it goes back into the main tank.

Anyway, the Clown recovered fine by this morning. I think. I watched the fish throughout the day and it appeared normal. I think I watched the fish so much I am not even sure what normal is anymore. When I added some frozen food to the tank, the Clown did the same thing it always does which was good. Only weird thind is that now my Clown sleeps in a completely different area of the tank. It would always sleep right next to the heater in the corner of the tank. Now it sleeps directly next to Maxi-Jet 400, completely different side of the tank.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 01-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #19
steve-s

Be sure you are also monitoring the temp and pH throughout the treatment. Formalin becomes quite toxic above 80°.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #20
steve-s

Update?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com