Help with hurt starfish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

method0075

Aquarium Advice Regular
My choclate chip star was mugged by crabs and they almost severed one of my stars leggs completely! What should I do to help the star. the crabs have since left it alone but It hasn`t moved much at all just waves it`s tentacles out there every once in a while. any help will be greatly appreciated!

Not much you can do as far as I know. If your water is good and the star is healty otherwise, it should regrow the limb over time.

what if the damage is up into the middle of the star? It`s not all the way dead center to the star but close!

Well, again, I've only read it, and not experienced it but, supposedly if it looses a leg and the lost limb has part of the central disk still attached, it will eventually become two starfish. Starfish have amazing regenerating abilities. But, again, that's only if your water is pristine and the star is very healthy to start with.

I just did a 1/4 water change and we will see. I really appreciate the input. My gut is telling me this was territorial attack and not food related. The star is more vulnerable then ever but they won`t touch it. However my clowns have taken a great intrest in it and have been very protective of the star. They have chased away a red leg hermit and snail that were just cleaning the general area. Weird yet fascinating!

hay just what i have heard: i was told that when one is injured that its good to cutt that arm off with a vary sharp clean cut. if not the injured arm can become infected and cause this to spread to the rest of the star and then death is certain. however i have not tried this and i have only been told this from people that star fish. i have never had any problems with my shrimps or crabs bothering my choc star. hope this helps but again i have just heard this so i would bounce this off some other people to see what they think of this. if mine does get attached i dont i might just watch and jugde how hes doing. but i'm not sure about this just telling what i have heard on this topic.

Back
Top Bottom