Help with my Coral Beauty please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jroxsox101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this coral beauty about a week ago for a 60 gallon with a sixline wrasse, algae blenny, and 2 false percs, and was perfectly fine. It is still fine, no tethered fins/ich/velvet/anything else (knock on wood) and is still eating and picking at the rocks, but has cloudy eyes. they're not really full blow pop eye, but they definitely have maybe a 50% cloudiness.
water levels as of last night 4/10 -
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: <10
salinity: 1.025 (working on lowering it a bit)
i was thinking about doing a freshwater dip, but i dont know if that would stress him out even more, or even putting him into a QT and treat him like that.
Please, any suggestions would be helpful!
Thank you!

I would def QT until you kno for sure what is wrong with the fish. I personally keep my tank at 1.025 and I would not jump on the fresh water dip right away. QT and monitor him and post some pics so others can see and chime in

i might pick up a 10 gallon today and go it. its just gonna be a pain to catch him. i will definitely try to get pictures but it'll be on my phone so it won't be very clear.

Petco is running the dollar a gal sale but u will need a heater and filter and run the filter with no filter media

i have a really powerful airpump or i could find a filter somewhere or just pick one up. pretty sure i have a spare filter though :) and i have a heater too!

Cool, as long as u have water movement and heater pretty much all you need but you gatta make sure there is enough oxygen in the water

yeah no its a really strong pump. i live in new jersey and used it for a week when sandy hit and none of my fish died so :)

Just wondering, what's the fastest way to cycle? The big tank is about a year old if that helps.
Got him a 10 gallon and am going to set it up tonight but just not sure what to do

Just wondering, what's the fastest way to cycle? The big tank is about a year old if that helps.
Got him a 10 gallon and am going to set it up tonight but just not sure what to do

Best thing for cycling a QT at this point is to add some media from your DT. It can be a filter sponge, floss, bioballs, whatever. If you have any live rock rubble you can afford to sacrifice, that will work as well, BUT you probably will kill everything except the bacteria on it and generally won't be able to move anything fro the QT back to the display dependeing on what (if any) meds you use.

I had one issue with my coral beauty with that once a long time ago. It cleared up in 24 hours after a water change. The nitrates aren't high, might be the issue but might not be too.

if i were to just take a small, but big enough piece of live rock, would the tank be instantly cycled? or should i give it a few days because i want to start treatment ASAP

Back
Top Bottom