Help with royal gramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up a royal gramma about 10 days ago and over the last 4 or 5 days I've seen this growth on it's left cheek grow steadily over the last half. He is in QT with no other signs of illness. The conditions are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. I've been doing 30% water changes every second day. He is eating and has been since day 1. I've fed him once a day with a combo of flakes/pellets as well as fresh seafood alternating every day between the two types. I also soak both foods in garlic and selcon. Pictures below and growth marked by red ring.
I'm wondering if it's HLLE. It seems that every fish I've put in the QT gets HLLE. I'm really questioning the benefits of a QT...but that's another thread.

Thanks...Steve

Attachments

• royal-1.jpg
    royal-1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 664
  • royal-2.jpg
    royal-2.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 220
It almost looks like a type of fungus. My links I use are at home. Do a search here on fungal. I`ll post when I get home.

Mike, it seems as though something is attached to it...flukes? I was watching it closely and one of the times it swam backwards it seems as the body of what was attached floated up off the fishes head while still being attached to it. I also noticed that at the right angle you can see a "pulsing" or "ripple" across the attached parasite. Does that make sense? Is malachite green the right treatment for this? It says parasite treatment on there beside fungal treatment. Is there something better? Paragard maybe?

Thanks...Steve

it's not HLLE as far as i've seen . actually, the only fish i have seen HLLE over and over on is tangs. i don't think it's flukes either. don't know what it could be though...sorry!

Definitely an external parasite. I can see it hanging off the forehead of the fish. I'm not sure what to use for it? Is malachite green goin to work? Should I get paraguard?

Thanks steve

Back
Top Bottom