Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help with set up on a 180 dual drill???few ???Big tank pro's

Well I managed to get a 180gal glass w/ stand and a 10lb LR w/duster and red mush for $300.I am stoked.

Anyway now comes the issues I have never set up a sump etc.. it has 2 overflows one in each corner 2 holes in each. I was gonna try to run a sump/fuge with a 55 I have , but I dont have any of the plumbing yet etc...

Now the questions:

1) I want to ge the tanbk out of my truck,but I need to put the 55 in the stand from behind bbefore I do this. I assume if I put it in the middle or to one side I can run both overflows from one sump? Is there a better way.

2)what kinda pumps will I need to get the overflows working properly?

3)When does halide heat become an issue enough to get a chiller? I can;t afford one so this will detirmine which kinda lioghting to get. I was think 2x400w MH and 2x 110 VHO 03's. You htink that will need a chiller if I add some fans etc....?

4)skimmer can run out of the sump right?

Is there anything I am missing thus far that needs to be addressed?

thanks ahead of time.
Jake

Old 07-07-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You got that for $300 ?!! 8O

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya get this , the guy put it on ebay stocked for liek $1500 local pic up.Of course he didn;t sell it. 1 week later i am browsing and I see the tank and stand 1 day auction,lol.So I call him and tell him I'll give him the minimum bid cash next day if he throws in some LR I got a 10lb piece w/ a duster and some red much on it too.I geuss he started getting mad emails after he took down the auction,snooz you lose.I am about ready to get another 150 Reef ready for $250 w/80lbs of rock.I am gonna part it out and keep the skimmer and pumps.Probablly be selling the rock in here for cheap so keep an eye out.

Still needz help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

How deep is it? What do you want to grow? It'll depend on what you want to grow. 400W will produce a LOT of heat. I've got 2x250 (the 3rd is coming soon) and it can raise my tank temp by 8° if I let it. To assist w/ cooling, you can run space fans mounted SECURELY over the sump to aid in evaporation.

As far as pumps, you could use a Mag12 or 9 for a return. In my 125, there's one overflow in the back-left corner. It flows through flexible tubing into the sump, positioned under the tank, off to the side, bottom-left. It goes through the skimmer (A RedSea Berlin XL) and about 50lbs. of LR. It hits the Mag12, goes through a ball valve that restrict some of the flow, and in through a bulkhead in upper-right corner, which connects to a 90° elbow, which runs a 1" PVC homemade spray bar across the length of the tank.

Good luck!
I'm currently looking on plans to build a 200+ =]
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

that did help a bit, I want o grow most corals hard etc.. and maybe some clams reef tank style.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

How deep is the tank? 24"? 26"? I've got 250W. The dude at the LFS has 400W on his 300gal, but he grows SPS. He says he's thinking about dropping back down to 250s, so he can grow ricordia shrooms, lps, & sps. He thinks the 400Ws are just too bright. Remember, anything that's not a hardcore light-lover will need places of shade/reduced light in a 400W tank.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh ya sorry, it is 72"x24"x24" ya I never thought about that either to much light lol. Maybe I should go like a 250 or 400 on one end and then some vho on the other side of the tank.So assuming that the light is going where direct (prob nit but still) that would give me enough room to place what I want in the tank 4.5w of MH on half and maybe 4 vho on the other half .This is sick.Thats why I am getting thinking now so I have it all planed out first I dont want to rush into anything.Thanks for all the vice
Old 07-07-2004, 11:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

np. I wouldn't go with MH on one side and VHO on another though. It'd look really really weird. I think that with 250s in that tank, you could do a few of the higher-lower light (make sense? Kinda like how ricordia are higher light shrooms...but shrooms as a whole are lower light) on the bottom, others mid-range, and SPS mid-top. You may have to rule out any LPS that need to rest on the substrate though. But, you never know. Any reason you're for VHOs over PCs?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

not really I want to be able to keep zoo's etc.. though also.But from what I undetstand they love the light so well see. So how many 250's are you talking about anyway?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

PCs are a bit more expensive to begin with, but bulb quality lasts longer.

Well, you said it was 72" long...my 125 is 72" long and I have a hellolights.com 72" reflector w/ 3x250W 10,000K MH, and 4x96w 03 PCs. The MH give a coverage of about 2 square feet. So on a 6-footer, you're going to want 3 of them. I then have 2 96x PCs in front, and 2x96w PCs in back to supplement actinic. I use the coralvue ballasts and bulbs. I like them both so far, going well. =] For my PCs, I bought two Workhorse 7s, 4 moisture-proof endcaps from marine depot, chopped the ends off the endcaps and wired them to the workhorse. It's way cheaper. I got my coralvues from www.captiveraisedcorals.com Great prices and loganj is great to work with! I've also heard good things about www.captivereefs.com and Darrin's customer service is said to be top notch as well.

Tags
set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com