Help with starter corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking into possible getting some corals but still learning every day. I have a 12 gallon fluval edge with upgraded lighting, Fluval edge savior David 18 watt LED, I'm wondering what I can do with this. I'm wondering what are some easy starter corals that don't take to much work and care. I also am using tap water as well and treating that. I stay on top of my tank and do 1 gallon PWC mon, wed, and fri. Let me know if you can help me out and put some beauty in my tank.

Easier starter corals would be the Soft corals. Mushrooms ( which some look really cool ), Leathers, or Zoanthids ( also look really cool ).
These are all pretty hardy, and relatively care free with good water quality and sufficient light.

Flreefer said:
Easier starter corals would be the Soft corals. Mushrooms ( which some look really cool ), Leathers, or Zoanthids ( also look really cool ).
These are all pretty hardy, and relatively care free with good water quality and sufficient light.

+1 with reefer! I'd also say xenia (although mine died for no reason lol),green star polyps, and eventually some lps like a frogspawn. Some might say a frog isnt a good first coral..but it was mine and it has doubled in size!!

I'm looking into Florida Ricordea Mushroom what do you think about these

I think mushrooms and zoanthids would look great in your edge! Should do well under your lighting also.

Ok now what about using tap water with these corals, I use nutrafin chlorXchange to remove chlorine and chloramine, have had the tank up for couple months now do 1 gallon water changes Monday Wednesday and Friday and and at the end of each week everything checks out fine. Do you think the corals would do good? And do you have to do any extra dosing or extra stuff to put in your tank weekly with those corals. Thanks for the help as well

I'm looking into Florida Ricordea Mushroom what do you think about these

Rics would be a great starter. They are cool looking coral and do well under most lighting. Here is a pic of my rics.
img_1972140_0_fcdf61bc5406bebe29f7c98fddff71a0.jpg

Do u have to do anything special with them feeding wise, I'm reading up on them and looking into getting acouple love the colors. I read they don't need to be fed and they live off everything else in the tank. Thanks for the picture

In a tank that small, I would use rodi water. You arent talking many gallons, so it would be cheap. It will help in the long run, trust me.

Hey guys do you think I can keep most LPS corals with this lighting system

I don't know anything about that LED unit. I'd need more information...I'd assume that if I was suggesting rics and mushrooms that it wouldn't support most, but maybe some less light demanding ones.

All I know is that it's an 18 watt with LED on a 12 gallon tank I have two ric's in there now and they seem to be doing great

i just checked out the lighting upgrade you got and it looks nice. i think you would be capable of keeping any lps under it. possibly even some easier sps like monti cap. i believe he said the par on it was 260 so maybe some others can chime in.

Nice I'm really only looking to have LPS not a big fan of SPS thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom