Help with tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Kole tang I got a week ago. I noticed today he has a few white spots on him. His one fin and a few on his body maybe a dozen spots. I'm not sure what it is for sure or what to do. My tank is about three months old and I have 5 other fish besides him that don't seem to be effected at least not yet. Could someone please help me asap so this doesn't get worse or spread. I tried to get a picture but he does not like me right at the tank. Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you tell us more about the tank, like size and current parameters? Tangs require lots of swimming space and the lack of room may be stressing it out and opening up the world of ich.

It's a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and a coralife protein skimmer running. Water has been testing good for nitrates nitrites and ammonia all at zero. Ph and temp and salinity all seem good too. He is eating and seems happy. The other fish are a diamond goby, two clowns, a coral beauty and a neon dotyback. Also a few hermit crabs and snails.

Nitrates nitrites and ammonia all zero. Salinity is 1.025 temp is 78. The fish have not been fighting or acting abnormal at all. He just has a few small white spots

do you have a qt tank
sounds like he has ick and should be treated before he gets worse
the bad part is if one has it the rest most likely will get it too
and you will need a decent size qt considering the stock
only way to rid the tank of ick is to leave fallow 6/8 weeks
inverts should be fine as they wont contract it
treating the fish you have 2 options hyper salinity or with copper
this is every one of our worst nightmares
most of us have been there one time or another so dont feel you are alone
wish you good luck and all your live stock recovers
edit:
be sure it's not just sand stuck on him
you dont want to put him in a ordeal if he dont need it
but if it is ick start treatment asap

do you have a qt tank
edit:

Treating with copper is safe as long as there's no inverts in the tank. I have read somewhere that shrimp do use copper to help bind oxygen in their body. That don't have actual blood in their body but Hemocyanin. So they need some copper to survive but too much is a death warrant and that amount is what's needed to treat for ich. What is in the tank is so trace that it's not readable on a hobbyists test kit. If you can get a reading, it's enough to cause harm if not death.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

[QU OTE=treemanone2003;3063662]Treating with copper is safe as long as there's no inverts in the tank. I have read somewhere that shrimp do use copper to help bind oxygen in their body. That don't have actual blood in their body but Hemocyanin. So they need some copper to survive but too much is a death warrant and that amount is what's needed to treat for ich. What is in the tank is so trace that it's not readable on a hobbyists test kit. If you can get a reading, it's enough to cause harm if not death.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.[/QUOTE]

Don't treat your display, ever. Once that copper gets into the rocks, that's no inverts ever...to include coral.

[QU OTE=treemanone2003;3063662]Treating with copper is safe as long as there's no inverts in the tank. I have read somewhere that shrimp do use copper to help bind oxygen in their body. That don't have actual blood in their body but Hemocyanin. So they need some copper to survive but too much is a death warrant and that amount is what's needed to treat for ich. What is in the tank is so trace that it's not readable on a hobbyists test kit. If you can get a reading, it's enough to cause harm if not death.

Don't treat your display, ever. Once that copper gets into the rocks, that's no inverts ever...to include coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarifying the specifics.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413142038.498547.jpg
I found this at my lfs. It says it's safe to use with reef and live rock. Has anyone used this? Will it work? Anyone?

do you have a qt tank
edit:

It is actually hypo salinity not hyper

From what I hear is that ich attack works well. But you have to remove all carbon and turn off your protein skimmer

Only copper or hypo will solve ich. Any other 'med' is meant to build up a fish's slime coat to try to prevent it from re infecting and a healthy fish.

Back
Top Bottom