Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help!! worm killed all my fish

So i've had a saltwater tank for about 7 months now. Everything was going great until one of my fish died, so i took the fish otu and did a partial water change. Then everything seemed to be fine until a botu a week later when half the fish deid and then the next mournin everything was dead. The next day i noticed their was a long skinny pink worm crawling in the substrate. Can anyone help me with what happened here and what i should do to fix and how to not let it happen again.

gbollingberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
that was prob a bristle worm and he prob did not kill your fish

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
After the first fish died, did you do water test to see what your parameters were? How about now??
ffmd212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I can pretty well guarantee you the bristle worm did not do that. We need some water test results posted to rule out bad water quality. Did you cycle your tank?
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
lol sorry never heard of that before, i love my bristle worms they r lovely
factorboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Water tests are pointless after a large fish death since all the parameters should be unstable and sustain readings. More than likely the bristleworm, if still alive, was consuming the leftover remnants. You will have to look at past water chem. recordings and see if there is any noticeable declines along with retracing your steps prior to the original fish death...
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hmmm I had a friend who had the same problem before but it turned out to be a 5" mantis shrimp that had a taste for fish. Did any of the fish look ill or faded leading up to the die-off?
Kmatt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for all the responces and yes i cucled the tank prior to putting live fish in it. All the fish seemed healthy as ever the day before they died so i just dont understand. After the death of the first first i did water checks and there was an ammonia spike but no other changes so i did some water changes and got that undercopntrol. The ammonia level wasnt to high tho just a little change so i wouldnt think that would do it becaus it was only high for like a day. As off now i got all the parameters undercontrol and three new fish in their so weel see how they do this week, then ill try for some more.
gbollingberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Let's hope you don't have this worm in your tank:Cryptomundo » Giant Sea Worm Discovery

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

led, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com