HELP!!! Worried about our cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oO BRIGHTY Oo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought our first 2 cleaner shrimp on Sunday but we have noticed like a blister on the side of one of the shrimp and I'm concerned as to what it is, the shrimp seems ok and is eating fine, should I be concerned?!

Attachments

• image-3858811979.jpg
    image-3858811979.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 125
Here are a couple more photos of him. If any one can help us. I've tried searching the net, but can't really find much information on it.

Attachments

• image-3844776634.jpg
    image-3844776634.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image-102505717.jpg
    image-102505717.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 149
What else do you have in there with them? Is there any chance it could have been stung by anything in the tank? I have never seen this on a shrimp before but a sting from most things would result in a blister on a fish, I can't see why a shrimp would be any different.

Yeah I agree, one of mine had a black line on him a while ago, that when he molted.

Nope... We have 2 shrimp and 3 hermit crabs. Though we think it may have been there when we bought it, we didn't notice, though saying that, that was a shrimp only tank.
We're worried as we'd plan to add our first fish this weekend. I don't want to be passing anything on.

It hasn't seemed to effect him though. he's still very active, and eating fine. Strange!

He's fine and to be honest, if your water is good I wouldn't let it stop me adding fish!

Ohh ok... That's a big relief.

I tried to search it. And found it could be a possible isopad, which scared me. As that will move on to other tank-mates.
But our shrimp didn't have the side effects so wasn't sure.

Thank you :)

Okay......REALLY worried about that 'blister' now, it looks like there are little black dots inside it now

image-3766525694.jpg

Following this one closely. Just got a Fire Shrimp yesterday and don't want to see anything heppen to him.

Yea I have read it and it is an isopod, I have two options, operate on the shrimp myself with tweezers, or wait till it moults and remove the shed asap as apparently it won't spread. Or the last option is to take it back to the LFS I got it from!

Go with the last one and not take any risks with the others or the fish, gets my vote.

Get it out of the tank immediately. I think I may have Isopods in my tank as well, but so far none have attached to any of my clowns, nor do they bear a mark from them. Keep a close eye on your tank.

Just before I turned the lights off for the night, I checked the shrimp.....it moulted and the little black 'eggs' came off in the moult.

The shrimp still has the blister but it is said that it could have that for it's whole life and not affect the shrimp other then it nit growing as big....monitoring closely!

image-1936238551.jpg

I remember the first time my cleaner shrimp molted I thought it died lol then noticed him cleaning my goby. It's weird seeing the old skin it looks like the hole shrimp. Good luck with him I think there the best part about my tank

Same problem

Hey I bought a cleaner shrimp recently and he has the same blister on his side the guy at the pet shop said its just we're his last bit of moulting didn't come off properly and itd come off the next time did it ever resolve itself?

Yes, it still has the lump but nothing in it, the shrimp has grown to a very healthy size, has even had eggs hatch, as far as I'm concerned it is nothing to worry about!!

How do you no if there's something in it? I was reading about Isopods ( right after I replayed to this post the shrimp moulted haha but the lump stayed ) and yu could see we're the lump was on the the old skin I was reading up on cutting it open and taking the isopod out but I only started the whole fish keeping a few months and don't think I'm ready to be cutting anything open ? But I'm due my fish on Wednesday and don't want them catching anything

Back
Top Bottom