Herbtana for ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamroz37

Aquarium Advice Activist
i woke up this morning and caught that my scopas tang caught icy had lots of white dots on him and was on his fins my previous butterfly fish die from this so i went and bought herbtana because it is reef safe so they say i dosed it and my corals all look fine with no signs of stress and the icy seemed to have fall off my fish already!!! it may be because i caught it early but im still going to follow the 10 day process

That reef safe med is a gymic it does not kill ick there is only three ways to kill ick copper meds,hyposalanity and switch tank method... Do u have a qt tank

No I do not have a QT that's why I tried this and you may say its a gimmick but worth a shot it already knocked off all visible signs the little white dots of ich off the fish the reason I think it worked is because I caught it early enough before it got to serious

It's been proven. Copper or Hyposalinity cure Ich. Everything else is a "treatment", which usually involves boosting immunity. Leaving your DT fallow for about six weeks makes whatever is left in your tank die off due to not having a host to live off of. You are then left with an Ich-free tank. Of you QT future additions, this should never happen again.

Read up on the life cycle of Ich. It will drop off (treated or not), so it would have dropped off without putting anything in. It hangs out inbyour sand/rock and will continue to come back. might be weeks, might be months. It is once again in your tank and will continue to come back, like it did after your Butterfly died from it.

Well if it lives in my tank without them being affected how will it not die off....

I'm not a pro with this, so some of the science and explanation might be outside my ability to make perfectly clear. Im also typing from my phone, so i tend to shorten things up. :) My apologies on advance...

From what I have always heard/read, the white spots that you see are not actually the parasite, they are the skins reaction. Those typically drop off after a few days and this is where people believe that the treatment cured their fish. It's still in the fish, just may not be visible and could very well be causing damage, usually to gils. I've also heard that it is in the system and that basically if one fish has visible signs, any other fish are at least hosting the parasite. Again, it is only visible during one phase of its life cycle, so what you are not seeing does not mean its not there and that it can't come back. It often takes some kind of stressor to bring it back out to where you see those dreaded white spots.

If you "cure" this problem by properly treating it outside the DT and leave the DT fallow for six to eight weeks, you should be totally Ich-free. If you QT any future additions, it should never show up again.

Is it possible to build the fishes immune system up to and to where he doesn't stress so within the 6-8 weeks the ich doesn't have a host so it will just eventually die off anyways?

My understanding is that yes, you can use things like garlic supplements to boost immunity. That helps and is a good thing, but I believe that once its in your tank, its never gone until something is done to irradiate it. You may not see it, but the fish still have it and it continues to multiply in your closed system. The boosted immunity helps keep it at bay, but its still there. Google saltwater Ich and read. Every article basically says the same thing. It is what it is and when people think that they have somehow figured out a trick around the science, they are wrong.

Freshwater dips don't always get 100%. Cleaner wrasses or shrimp can't get it all. All the LFS bottled treatments don't do the trick (other than stuff like Cupramine, which is a copper treatment).

Back
Top Bottom